Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Gun Pr0n #183

Today's gun pr0n is also a Colt Woodsman, and also comes to us from another blogger, Butch.

Old School Rimfire Redux

Boy, howdy, but that's a nice lookin' gun. Butch gives us her story:

As promised, here are some pictures of my wife's second series match target. My only complaint is the plastic grips, but they work and work well. Funny thing is that this Colt was my wife's first carry piece. She became comfortable enough with it before any of her other handguns and started strapping it on. Once a few friends found out, they came out with, "She carries what!?" I also absolutely love the lanyard loop. That's right, a lanyard, on a bullseye pistol. The trigger is perfect, the sights are sharp and easy to pick up, and it falls into your hand as if it was made to.

She originally was going to buy a Buckmark over the Colt to save money, but the Woodsman felt better and she decided to go for it. I'm glad she did, because I get to play with it sometimes.

Trust me on this one, Butch, the Mrs. made the right decision.

That is all.

5 comments:

ASM826 said...

Jay,

I have my grandfather's Woodsman, made in 1934. Here a link and a pic, along with a range result target.

http://randomactsofpatriotism.blogspot.com/2010/07/that-which-we-can-hold.html

Butch Cassidy said...

ASM826 - I do not care for the spindly look of plain Woodsman, Hi-Standards and other autoloaders of the like; but yours is a genuine beauty and just oozes class. Like a good dog, it just seems to call you to take it after some bunnies.

WV - bummonym: A homonym in Hobo Code.

Anonymous said...

IMO, the 2nd and 3rd Series Match Target Models are some of the most beautiful firearms ever made. Although I'm willing to accept the possibility of imprinting on my part: as a wee sprat I had an honest-to-Freja suction cup dart shooting mockup of one. Rediscovering that toy while cleaning out the closet during my mid-teens was a surprise (I'd almost completely forgotten I had it) but I vividly recall how it struck a chord with its' graceful lines and the way it fit my hand on that day. That pretty much ensured that eventually, I WOULD have one. Mine's a 6" 2nd Series that looks much like the featured one. Out of the .22 handguns I've messed with to date (including a pre-Woodsman, S&W M41s, Rugers of varied Mks and barrel configs), this one gives the best one-handed results from my rather shaky hold. Likewise, no love here for the aesthetically challenged plastic grip, but as noted, it works-except for the prominent thumbrest making it darned near impossible to hit the mag release without bringing the other hand into play. Eh, what's one small flaw?
Thanks, ASM826 for sharing yours.

ThoreMo

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention, thanks Butch, for sharing yours, too!

ThoreMo

Stretch said...

"...and it falls into your hand as if it was made to."
But of course! St. John of Ogden knew all 'bout ergonomics long before the word was invented.
My ca. 1928 Woodsman has the pencil barrel so I NEED to get a series 2 or 3 to go with it. And there's a gun show this weekend.
Off to buy a lottery tickets.