Monday, October 11, 2010

NorthCoast Blogger Shoot AAR, Part 1

Part one is going to be somewhat light on pics for now. I'll be making my way home today from OH, so I set everything up last night in the hotel room on my Eee. The hotel wifi was a bit spotty, and the Eee is less-than-ideal for picture manipulation (okay, it's downright lethargic...), so I'll put up another AAR with pictures tomorrow after I get home tonight and can upload everything on the big 'puter.

Saturday morning I awoke to a phone call from Newbius, who told me that he was en route to the blogshoot. I met New Jovian Thunderbolt (NJT) and My Buddy the Gun Enthusiast (MBtGE) for breakfast, then went back to my hotel room to prepare for the shoot. Newbius arrived about a half-hour before we were scheduled to leave for Heath's. I loaded my gear into Newbius's car, we met up with Breda & Mike and NJT and MBtGE, and we all carpooled over to Heath's place.

Here's the list of attendees as far as my feeble brain can recall. If I've missed anyone, I humbly apologize and blame CueBall's "Apple Pie":
  • Heath & Amanda - I'd like to extend my most sincere thanks to Heath and Amanda for hosting us. Heath put a lot of work into getting the range ready, and Amanda just about knocked herself out making us feel at home after the shoot. They were gracious enough to entertain us afterwards, offering adult libations and incredibly nommy foodstuffs (including some marinated pulled beef from a cow that "had been walking around mooing only a couple weeks ago".
  • Breda & Mike - Many thanks to Breda for doing the heavy lifting on the organizing of the Northcoast shoot. I know what a herculean effort pulling together a successful blogshoot can be, and Breda handled this with ease.
  • Bubblehead Les & Carol
  • Mad Saint Jack
  • CueBall
  • Newbius
  • Clint
  • Van + Destiny
  • Bill
  • THOTpd
  • New Jovian Thunderbolt & MBtGE
  • Josh
We set up two pistol ranges at first, figuring that we would set up a rifle range later. One range was 25 feet, the other 25 yards. We had a wide variety of reactive targets and static targets, and let loose with a staggering array of weaponry. Bubblehead Les brought several historical pieces, and Van and Bill from The GunWorks in Sandusky, OH brought some hardware as well. We had some suppressed weaponry to go with a mind-boggling array of pistols, carbines, and shotguns; and let loose on the two ranges for quite some time.

Ah, the weaponry... From the tiniest (North American Arms .22LR single-action revolver) to the largest (a Contender in .45-70 that your humble host shot to open the festivities*), there were firearms representative of pretty much every possible aspect of handgunning. Custom 1911s? Check. Hunting single action revolvers? Semi-automatic .308s? Check. Glock long slides? Check. Sturdy Smith & Wesson rimfires seemingly incapable of missing the gong at 25 yards? Check. AK-based .410 shotgons? Check Browning Hi-Power with shoulder stock? Check. Taurus Judge? Check. Browning over-under shotgun? Check. I lost count of all the cool guns at the shoot, and believe me, there was so many incredible handguns, rifles, and shotguns that it would fill pages just to list everything that was there.

*I must have heard "Jay, you need to shoot this!" several dozen times at the NorthCoast shoot. It seemed like everytime I turned around, someone had a ridiculously overpowered handgun, a piece of history in blued steel, a cool shotgun, or some other magnificent piece of weaponry. Gunnies are, without a doubt, the most generous, sharing, giving folks I have ever had the privilege of sharing a range with.

One of the perennial favorites was the Snubbie from Hell™ - it seems like no one can resist a turn with the 12 ounce .357 Magnum, not even the World's Most Dangerous Librarian. With all but the Remington 125 grain JSP hunting ammo, the SfH is actually pretty manageable, but everyone was in agreement that a steady diet of .357 Magnum would not be on anyone's list of things to do very much. Even the .45-70 Contender didn't have the same punishing recoil as the SfH with the 125 grain screamers.

After we'd had our fun with handguns and shotguns we moved the firing line back to 100 yards for working with the rifles (and a handful of us crazy fools hardy souls with pistols). Most were shooting prone; some opted to shoot offhand; others opted for one of the two small benches for benchrest shooting. Once again, 5 gallon jugs were offered as reactive targets, and believe me when I saw that watching a 5 gallon jug exploding from a hit from a .308 that you just fired is an amazingly addicting feeling.

I learned a few things at the NorthCoast blogshoot. For starters, I've been shooting large bore single action revolvers wrong - rather than fight the recoil, I learned that they are designed to kick up in your hand. Heath let me shoot his Vaquero with hot .44 Magnum rounds, and by letting the gun rotate upwards - rather than fighting to keep it in my hand - I was able to fire it with little problem. I also learned that handguns can be effective at surprising distances - I rang an 18" gong 10 out of 12 times with my Smith & Wesson model 27 from a rest, and even off-hand was able to hit 2 or 3 times out of every cylinder.

I learned that I have a lot to learn about shooting rifles (yes, Ross, I know, I need to take part in an Appleseed weekend - let me know what the spring schedule looks like and I'll see what I can attend). I also learned that rifle rounds will zip right through ¼" plate steel like a hot knife through butter - but even the hottest .357 Magnum rounds will not. I also learned that while I do really like the M1 Garand, it's harder to work than I thought (I was having a bit of trouble getting the clips into the gun). Mosin Nagants hurt like a sonofabitch when shooting without a recoil pad (that I already knew).

And, lastly, here's a quick picture to give you an idea of the mindset of the shoot:

Hippie Inferno

Yes, those are 5 gallon water jugs roasting on an open fire. As part of the range clean-up, we tossed all the shot-up pallets, targets, boxes, hay bales etc. into a big pile and set it on fire. Since we'd all see the 10.10 videos of people being blown up for not "volunteering" to reduce their carbon footprint, we tossed on the plastic bottles as our own little way of increaseing our carbon footprint.

And believe me when I say that the enviro-nazis would have had a *very* hard time blowing us up, considering that we had enough hardware to take over most of Europe...

That is all, for now; more tomorrow.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! It looks like you guys had a great time - maybe I'll be able to make the next one!

Farmmom said...

Sounds like a fantastic time! It's always nice to get together and make lots of noise and smoke. Sorry I couldn't make it. Hopefully you will make it to Blogorado next year.

Lupis42 said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend.

Since you're looking for MA Appleseeds, the upcoming ones are:
Harvard, MA: Oct 23&24, Nov 28, Dec 11&12, Feb 5&6, and April 16&17
Leyden, MA: Nov 6&7

Ross said...

As always, Jay, you can find the Appleseed schedule at www.appleseedinfo.org. Anyway, there'll be a "Winterseed" at Harvard on February 5&6 and the usual Patriot's Day weekend shoot, also at Harvard. I think we've got one in the works for March at Mansfield F&G, as well. Not sure on that one.

As for the Garand... I'd be happy to check you out on Betsy, my 1953 Garand any time. It's a LOT of fun to shoot!

Re: Mosins... I have NO idea what you're talking about. If you can enjoy shooting a 12 GA, you DEFINITELY don't need a recoil pad for a Mosin Nagant! I like my 91/30... but hated my Mossy 500 so much I sold it.

And as for the plastic... Apparently I'm greener than y'all because I would have objected had I been there, to the point of volunteering to fill my vehicle with the carcasses and driving them to wherever they could be recycled, myself. Just don't see the point of putting the stink into the atmosphere when you could recycle it. *shrug*

doubletrouble said...

Good times, good times.

"Gunnies are, without a doubt, the most generous, sharing, giving folks I have ever had the privilege of sharing a range with."

That sentiment runs through most every shooty event I've attended, but then again, who ELSE would you be sharing a range with?

Newbius said...

Jay,

France called. They saw the "Junk on the Trunk" photos of the hay wagons. They say you can pick up the keys in a couple of days. They have to clean up Versailles a little bit first...

wv: "nolluter" (I kid you not) a 10/10 denier.

skidmark said...

What the heck is going on amongst you blogers? NJT gets shot in the neck by the snubby from hell in the hands of a tactilibrarian and nobody else bothers to mention the event?

We need details. We want pictures. We want to see the ME's report, the police report, and the waivers all of you signed agreeing to cover up this best possible story EVAR! ("No kidding. I was there and this is how it really happened. See, Breda was .....")

Details, fella. Details.

wv=comicc: what this story will probably sound like it was told by.

stay safe.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I don't no why you are so excited about what happened this past weekend, Jay. Just another normal Saturday here in the Semi-Free State of Ohio. ; )

skidmark; just check Newbius, New Jovian T-Bolt, The Breda Fallacy, and other Blogs over the next few days for the Pictures that Jay WON'T be posting on his Blog (hint,hint,nudge,nudge,wink,wink). Actually, I wonder how much Jay's going to have to pay to his Dentist to remove the Smile that seemed to be Welded to his face!

Jay, guess I'm going to have to apply to the VolksRepublik of Massachusetts for a Visa to get up to your Blogshoot next year. Wonder if Big Mike and Breda want to carpool? We'll talk later. Meanwhile, back to the Hoppes #9 and more gun cleaning for me today.

Jay G said...

I'm getting ready to upload and post a big batch of pics tomorrow.

If anyone objects to having their picture posted, please let me know ASAP.

I know some already, and I will blur license plates and business names ahead of time.

SpeakerTweaker said...

(C)onsidering that we had enough hardware to take over most of Europe...

Don't sell yourself short. You could take over most countries in Europe with a NAA Mini-revolver and a steak knife.

;)

Nice collection there! One of these days, I swear I'm gonna show up for a NE Shoot.



tweaker