Monday, October 25, 2010

Yes, There's An App For That...

I was contacted recently by Randy of GunStoresApp about a new app for the iPhone that helps locate gun stores in a given area. He describes the app thusly:
So, here's the deal on what this app is all about. I'm a gun guy and a technology guy. I have combined these two interests and decided to make an iPhone app that has a location-based search for gun stores near your current location, or near any entered location in the USA. It works off of the ATF database of FFLs and it's really cool. I initially did it for my own use, you know "scratch your own itch" kind of thing, since after searching the iPhone app store there were only two other choices for this kind of thing and neither one did just what I wanted. So I made my own app. It's called "Gun Stores" and it's now available for download in the iTunes App store, or from this website: http://gunstoresapp.com

Here's a quick run-down of some of the main features:

* Over 60,000 U.S gun dealer listings in the app
* FREE database updates every month
* Find gun stores near your current GPS location, or any other U.S. location
* Get detailed gun dealer information to call or visit the store
* Get driving directions to the gun store from your current location with Google maps
* Add a gun store to your iPhone's contacts
* Share a gun store's information via email
* Validate gun dealer licenses right from the phone with FFL EZ Check
I downloaded it to my iTouch and found a bunch of places I never knew existed all in a 20 mile radius. It does list every FFL in the area - even those that are available "by appointment only" and such - so calling an unknown dealer before heading there is a plus. Fortunately, this app lets you dial right from the map itself - or add the gun store to your contacts. When you click on the point indicating a gun store, it pops up the name and address. Click on this, and the address becomes clickable for directions, and the phone number is clickable to dial. Very handy indeed!

Here's what the app looks like on your iPhone:

App for everything...

Quite handy - I can't even begin to count the number of times I could have used something like this back in the day...

That is all.

3 comments:

George said...

Just installed it. Pretty cool. It even found Gander Mt.

Dwight Brown said...

I'm not one of those Slashdottie types who sees conspiracies everywhere, but I'll admit to being a little surprised that this app was approved.

That out of the way, it looks very impressive, and I would be very happy to pay money for an Android platform version of it.

RedneckMp said...

Now if only there was a version of this for those of us with android based phones id pay good money for it