Monday, November 8, 2010

Range Report: LaserLyte CK-SW

I mentioned getting and installing the LaserLyte CK-SW laser sight for the Smith & Wesson J-frame revolver; well, this past weekend I actually got a chance to take my Model 34 to the range to test it out. Naturally, I was running late (and thanks to DST, I was also running out of daylight) and forgot the teeny allen wrench that adjusts the laser on the gun, so I had to make do with the rough-sighting I'd done at home when I installed the unit. Once I figured out where it was hitting in relation to the laser dot, it was all set:

Not Bad for a Snubbie

Target was at 25 feet, Model 34 shot single action. If it were the Model 17 I'd be disappointed in that group; for the 34, though, it's pretty darn good. I've got a good feeling that once I get the laser sighted in properly that will tighten up further - oh, darn, I'll just have to go back to the range again. Actually, I'm going to go back at least two more times; once to properly sight the laser in and a second time to see how the zero holds up after shooting it a bit.

Some folks don't care for laser sights on a fighting arm that require an unnatural action or second motion to activate. On semi-automatic pistols this can be mitigated somewhat by having the switch for the laser in a conspicuous place that's easy to access; for revolvers - given the nature of the cylinder - it's far more limited. Add to that the small size of the J-frame, there's not a lot of places the switch can be placed. It does take a conscious effort to turn the laser on; there's simply no getting around that; however this unit does allow standard grips to be used and also does not impact how the gun fits in existing holsters:

IWB

That's a Null IWB holster for the J-frame revolver, inherited with the S&W Model 38. I'm not a real fan of that exposed trigger, but believe it or not this is the only decent IWB holster I have for the J-frame right now (please note the careful phrasing - watch this space for important J-frame holster announcements...)

Pocket Carry

DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. This was bothered more by the adjustable sights on the 34 than the extra width added by the CK-SW. The nylon Nemesis had plenty of give for the CK-SW, and like I said, the adjustable sights gave more trouble with the fit than the CK-SW unit.

I'm planning on sighting it in properly then doing a couple more shoots with the CK-SW on the Model 34 before moving up to the Snubbie from Hell™. So far this little unit is pretty impressive - adding a laser unit to a defensive handgun really helps pick out the POA, and shines especially well for follow-up shots. And not for nothing, but at the end of the range session, once I had really worked out where the rounds were hitting in relation to the laser dot, I was using the Model 34 to break clays on the 25 yard berm. Shooting double action.

The LaserLyte CK-SW is an unobtrusive laser sight for the S&W J-frame that won't break the bank, allows existing grips and holsters to be used, and works pretty well - that's a trifecta of win right there.

That is all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the range report.

zeeke42 said...

Exposed trigger != decent IWB holster, IMO.

The holster has two jobs. Keep the gun where you need it to be, and protect the trigger.

Count me among the folks who think a laser with a separate switch is less than useful on a defensive arm.

Jay G said...

Well, by "decent" I meant "not One-size-fits-most and made out of 'ballistic' nylon"...

I don't carry snubbies IWB very often, so it's really not that big of a deal (but there will be new options coming in shortly...)

I've had trouble activiting the grip-mounted lasers on more than one gun (Sig 229 and S&W 642), so I can't totally agree. All systems have their plusses and minuses, of course; there's no way to get around needing a switch for the laser with current technology.

I do have to admit that it would be mighty cool if Crimson Trace would send along a pair of grips to put this to rest, though... ;)

Mad Saint Jack said...

Hmmmm.

Maybe lefthand pocket carry would make sense for a back up gun, recalling how the laser is easier to activate with the left thumb.