Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gotta Brag...

Just watched my son's basketball team win their third consecutive game. They're currently undefeated; only one of two teams in their league to claim that distinction at this point on the young season. The team played a remarkable game; TheBoy played one of the best games I've seen him play. He scored three baskets (one unfortunately a half-second after the buzzer) and a free throw, but really excelled under the basket - he led everyone in rebounds. This is the first team he's been on that has had a winning season, and it is gratifying to see him becoming a dynamic part of that victorious spirit.

It's amazing to watch your child grow and mature. My son is almost the same height as my wife; before we know it he'll pass her and start closing in on me. We're stunned by his progress on school; his teacher comments on what growth he's shown just this year so far. He's turning into a young adult right before our eyes, and I fear it won't be long before we start running into more "mature" issues.

But for right now, I'm rejoicing in his victory with him, treating him to a couple of his favorite doughnuts for breakfast while we wait for my truck to be serviced. He's playing with some of the toy cars they leave for kids to play with, one last vestige of his childhood unperturbed by his nascent pre-teen moodiness. It's interesting how he can be so mature in some ways yet still very much a child; caught in that awkward time between childhood and young adulthood.

All I know is that I'm trying not to blink much so I don't miss anything...

That is all.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Lokidude said...

That's a good boy you got there.

However, are you saying that you don't still play with toy cars? *Looks at the Hot Wheels DeLorean he got a couple days ago.*

Anonymous said...

Yea, ours just turned 14. He's (trying) to grow facial hair, plays guitar in a band, and now owns his own rifle, shotgun, and revolver (ok, technically he doesnt own the revolver until he's 21, but it was his grandmother's and it's his when he's old enough). He will also sit on the floor of his room for hours playing with legos and toy cars.

I was WAY more mature at 14yrs old then he is. Cars, motorcycles, girls, and yea booze and drugs. Maybe staying part kid a bit longer isnt so bad.

Jay G said...

loki,

Thanks.

Although I dare you to point out where I ever said I don't still play with cars...

[looks at the 1/18th scale MGB, 240Z, 1932 Cadillac, DeSoto, DeLorean, and 1994 Chevrolet Caprice MA State Police car sitting around his living room]

mopar,

TheBoy is only 9, so facial hair and girls will (hopefully) wait. He's learning the drums (heh - We could get together a Northeast bloggers The Next Generation band here), struggling with "real" school (they get letter grades now!), and bullying.

It's just fascinating to watch him grow.

I was a complete and total nerd through high school (and beyond, many would argue...), so if "extracurricular" activities qualify one for mature, well, hell, I didn't mature...

Ever?

;)

WW Paul said...

Good for you.

My kids are in their early 30's. I had the pleasure of watching them go from being good kids to being good men. They are the joy of my life.