Wednesday, December 22, 2010

More Shameless Self-Promotion...

My second article is up over at Guns, Holsters, and Gear:

The .22LR as trainer for new shooters.

I discuss using firearms chambered in .22LR for getting new folks hooked on shooting. I detail my own personal process for introducing new folks to the sport along with my rationale behind starting them off with rimfire guns before jumping into centerfire. In a nutshell, I want the experience to be as comfortable as possible, and starting a noob off with a handcannon isn't the way to do it...

Take a read and let me know what you think!

That is all.

2 comments:

ViolentIndifference said...

Along that same train of thought an airsoft or BB gun with similar form and function to a big boy gun could be used.

I have a Walther look-alike chambered in "little blue ball" with a load of "heavy spring". It was $21. It can be considered a trainer for a Walther P22, which is a trainer for a Walther P99...

You can live through a bad mistake made with the pellet gun.

Vic said...

So here's a question.
I don't own a gun, I've never owned one, and I've never had formal training. I have, however, been shooting a couple of times and plan to buy a gun in a few months (I'm abroad at the moment and won't be back until the summer). The few times I went shooting, I discovered that while I have fun putting more or less anything downrange, I really, really loved the 1911s and the .357 revolver I shot (I did my best to try as many of the 9mm plastics for comparison and tried the 1911s on a whim). I'm now torn as to whether I should stick with a smaller caliber for the first gun, or just buy a 1911 and learn on that.
What do you think? I don't think I need to be "hooked" (I'm totally there, the only reason I wasn't at the range every day this summer was that it costs money and that you need a buddy to rent a lane if you don't own a gun), but I'm definitely a long way from any kind of competency.