Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Range Bag (Not Quite) Essentials...

The other day I was at the range, and a gentleman came in with his two daughters to do some shooting. He'd been away from the range for a while, and was getting back into a good shootin' routine, with a few minor speedbumps. I let him borrow my staplegun to put up targets, and then later on my multitool to help extract a stuck .22LR casing from his S&W model 41. He had forgotten some of the extras we bring with us to the range, and I thought it would be a good idea to list some of the not-quite essentials.

Eye and ear protection, ammo, magazines; those are all essentials. If you don't have those in your range bag, you're not shooting. There are literally hundreds - if not thousands - of other useful items you can put in the many pockets of a range bag to have just in case you need them. Here's my list of useful things to have in your range bag once the essentials have been covered:
  • Batteries for red dot sights/powered scopes - for obvious reasons
  • Small screwdriver sets - great for adjusting scopes, tightening grips, etc.
  • Small allen wrenches
  • Cloth for wiping down dirty guns (having older kids is great - I toss in a couple of the old cloth diapers we used as "burpers" to wipe my pistols down)
  • Rem Oil wipes
  • Extra lubricant
  • Firearm specific tools - bushing wrenchs, take down tools, etc.
  • Staples - different sizes (like 1/4" for targets to cardboard and 1/2" for cardboard to target stands)
  • Cleaning rod - at least one or two pieces from a standard pistol cleaning kit
  • First Aid kit - I have a pretty comprehensive one in the truck, but it's not a bad idea to have a few bandaids in the range bag for immediate use
  • Mag loaders
  • Flashlight - I keep a 2AA mini-maglight in one of the pockets of my range bag; it has come in very handy on many occasions
  • Extra ear plugs - for sharing or doubling up
  • Multi-tool with pliers/wire cutters
  • Paper clips or binder clips - in a pinch can be used to attach targets to cardboard; also come in handy on indoor ranges.
  • Markers/pens - for making notes on targets if testing loads or aligning scopes, etc.
These are just a few of the many odds and ends that go into a range bag. I've accumulated many of these items after many years of shooting, with different things added at different times; most often after I've really needed one and not had it handy. It's a great feeling to be at the range and to hear "if I only had a _____ with me" and be able to help someone out.

What extras do you recommend for (not quite) essential range bag items?

That is all.

19 comments:

Ancient Woodsman said...

When we do all-day at the range (without leaving the facility for meals) the mandatory safety item is hand cleaner, as our three most-used do not have running water. All those lovely shooting, cleaning, & lubricating residues on your hands don't make lunch taste too good.

Sunscreen & bug dope for appropriate days. Target pasters & target dots. Scoring sheets & clipboards. Timers & at least one spare. Armorer's kit & sight pusher. Manuals for the arms being used.

We also have & review before using the range a medical emergency plan - if (hopefully never 'when') someone gets hurt is too late to try to figure out how to get an ambulance, especially if the range has no phone & you can't get cell coverage at the facility. Yes there are constructed facilities that remote in New England.

Ancient Woodsman said...

...and a long time ago on a personal range day, my "if only I had a..." moment was filled in with "firearm." I'd diligently packed everything but left the arms at home.

Kudos on the 'burpers', too. Work great as a small mat for pistol take-down & cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Well, I shoot a fair amount of corrosive ammo, so I expand on your cleaning list a bit. Take down cleaning rod (pistol or rifle), cleaning patches, small spray bottle of windex (for rinsing out the bore), solvent and lube. If I'm shooting corrosive ammo the gun gets a basic cleaning before I even leave the range.

The extra earplugs are good, but ears are no good at the range without eyes, so I have a cheap spare pare of safety glasses as well.

Speaking of hearing protection, I also carry spare batteries for my electronic earmuffs.

Cheap, commonly replaced spare parts. I personally don't, because I usually bring multiple guns with me, so if one breaks it's not a wasted trip. But some of my friends who are hardcore trap shooters for instance carry a kit of field-replaceable parts for their shotgun.

Roll of masking tape. Multiple uses. Doubles as target pasters, or to hang targets. Tape a ripped box of .22 ammo closed so it doesn't spill, or even write down a phone number or web address for someone you meet at the range.

Compact binoculars/monocular. Useful on the pistol range when you really don't want/need a full spotting scope.

Of course, to carry all this crap I can't sing the praises of the Midway Competition Range Bag enough. Bought this a few months ago and I don't know how I ever did without it. Everything has it's own pocket or compartment. Better then any other bag I looked at for TWICE the price. It is pretty large, so they do make a "compact" bag as well. Just bought one of those for the kid as a Christmas present.

ViolentIndifference said...

http://violentindifference.blogspot.com/2010/12/range-bag-contents.html

My list of range bag contents that I published a couple of days ago.

DaddyBear said...

If I'm shooting corrosive ammo or black powder, I bring along a thermos of boiling water and a bore snake in appropriate calibers.

If I'm shooting the Mosin and I'm going to be there all day, I bring along a chamber brush and a can of Kroil or Hoppes for scrubbing out the chamber if the lacquered ammo starts gumming up the chamber. Alternatively, you can bring along a 2x4 or a small mallet.

B said...

Trauma kit with quickclot and pressure pads. In every bag you might take to a range. You might not be in YOUR vehicle.

Hope you never need it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, a couple of things I forgot that I saw on VI's list.
I used to carry a ziplock bag for spent brass, but the new range bag came with a mesh bottom brass bag so now I use that. I also carry the zip ties too.

Bob S. said...

A camera.

I've been using my blog as a photo journal of my progress but why not take pictures of you, the kids, the new shooters, etc.

Digitals are getting cheap enough that one can live in your bag and share batteries

Matt said...

1/4" or 1/2" masking tape, as someone else already mentioned.

My dad carries one of the large plastic coffee tubs for spent brass.

Ross said...

The only thing that jumps to mind that I keep in my range bag that hasn't been mentioned yet is a timer (for timing AQTs) and a Universal Gun Lock Key. I find that the 14" model works wonders when you forget the keys to your gun lock or cable lock...

Here's a good one: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Cutting-Tools-Bolt-Cutters/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh3Zaqw4/R-100094248/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Bill Weber said...

I have a thing of hand wipes in the bag. I use them during and before I am done and go really wash my hands.

Jay G said...

Y'know, I think I'm gonna tally up all of these excellent suggestions and put together an uber gear post for the "compleat" range bag.

There are some seriously awesome suggestions, folks, thank you all.

ViolentIndifference said...

"Y'know, I think I'm gonna tally up all of these excellent suggestions and put together an uber gear post for the "compleat" range bag."

Or just link to my list. Almost all these suggestions on my list that I posted a couple of days ago.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I like to use the blue painters tape vs. regular masking tape, because it's easier to remove a target from the backer. Also, I like to have a baseball cap or a boonie cap on, just in case a hot empty case rebounds onto my head. Also, a small first aid kit with a large compress bandage is nice to have when the newbie on the next lane muzzles you and say's "Can you help me? I think my trigger's stuck." Or you have a "Kaboom" take place in your hand. Hope this helps.

TheAxe said...

Two different colored sharpies, great for marking specific shots/shooters on the same target.

Wally said...

pasters for reusing targets, sunscreen for the rare occasion, sight adjustment tools, markers in several colors and a grease pencil. A few platic bags and baggies to fill with range brass if the glitter gods are smiling. Laser boresighter to get on paper, and a chronograph can help debug the mysteries of external balistics.

And reading through the responses, I am reminded to add some corrosive-friendly cleaner (yay new acqusition that eats cheap surplus!)

Ritchie said...

Multiple rolls of tape, because I don't remember being absent-minded. Multiple freezer bags for different calibers of brass. Shot bag of spare parts and tools, up to a small hammer. The three pounder lives in the trunk. Loaded mags that stay in the bag and loaded. Sectional steel cleaning rod kit, see hammers above.

Skip said...

All of this above is needed.

I take three of the Midway large range bags for an all day shoot. One ea. for rifle, pistol, shotgun. If I am trapshooting I have a 4' 1/4" wood dowel for the 'bloopers' to push the wad out.

TheAxe said...

Extra mags, Murphey loooves when you only have one mag.