Monday, January 31, 2011

Imagine If...

...A Dodge Magnum (with Hemi) mated with a Calloway Corvette. What would the offspring look like? It'd look surprisingly like the Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon...

Cadillac's Insane, Unnecessary, Awesome Wagon
Let's say you bought this car, a Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon, with a 6.2-liter, 556-horsepower Corvette V8, six-speed manual transmission, magnetorheological dampers (I'll get to that), Michelin SP2 gumballs, 15-inch front Brembo brakes with six-pot calipers, and microsuede wrapping on the steering wheel and shifter. Well, first of all, you'd be one strange cat, which is to say, unusual. Notwithstanding any nitro-burning ice-cream trucks or flying boattail Rollses in your neighborhood, this wagon is about as esoteric an automobile as you're likely to find. Statistically speaking, General Motors will sell exactly none of these cars, the Detroit equivalent of Zoroastrianism.
I'd have to say that this is one of the most interesting reviews of any car I've ever read. Then again, the CTS-V Sport Wagon is one of the most interesting cars I've ever seen, so it stands to reason. A seven passenger wagon that goes from 0-60 in 4.3 seconds? A Cadillac with a six-speed manual transmission? Did I read that right? 556 supercharged horsepower? In a WAGON? It really does sound like GM came out with this model for the same reason Sir Edmund climbed Mt. Everest: Because it was(n't) there.

Or, maybe, the ghost of Harley Earl started haunting GM headquarters over the government bailout and this is the start of GM's atonement...

That is all.

Thanks to blogson Colin for the tip!

7 comments:

Ross said...

I'll take one. If it's RWD, that is.

ASM826 said...

How much slower is it with 4 kids in the back and all the "going to the beach" stuff in a roof rack?

I want one to test in real world situations for a couple of years. Paint it some nondescript color like a 92 Ford Taurus white, stick plastic hubcaps on it, put some soccer mom bumper stickers on it, and when I get done testing, I promise I'll give it back, really.

Old NFO said...

It IS RWD, and I'm gonna start saving the shekels... I could actually get my guns in it :-)

Angus McThag said...

Ahem , that should be HEMI™.

wolfwalker said...

For some reason, I'm reminded of an equally insane Car and Driver project of a few years ago: yank the engine and drivetrain out of a Ford Taurus SHO (which only came in sedan form) and stuff it into a stock Taurus wagon.

not Dilbert said...

.... just be aware that Michlin PS2's are ~ $300 EACH and good for maybe 6,000 miles. Less with more enthusastic driving.

All that performance come with a price tag.


.....But they sure are fun while they last.

Jim said...

Darnit. Cadillac is a GM brand. I swore off GM after the bailouts. That's a shame, cause that looks interesting.