Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mini-Sig WANT...

Oh, man, I really hope this shows up on gun store shelves soon:

Baby Sig

The Sig P290 was featured on the cover of this month's Guns & Ammo, and caught my eye something fierce. It looks like SigSauer is taking square aim at "pocketable" 9mm pistols like the Kahr PM9 and the Kel-Tec PF9, an addition to the Sig line of small, concealable pistols started by the P238. SigSauer's pistol offerings were weighted far more on the full-sized pistol end of the spectrum, with the P239 and polymer SP2022 the smallest offerings until recently.

Specifications from SigSauer for the P290 are as follows:

P290

Nitron

Two-Tone

Caliber

9mm

Magazine Capacity

6 / 8

Trigger Pull

DAO: 9.0 lb average

Overall Length

5.5"

Overall Height

3.9"

Overall Width

0.9" (1.1" with slide catch lever)

Barrel Length

2.9"

Right Radius

4.3"

Sights

Contrast / SIGLITE night sights

Weight w/ Magazine

20.5 oz

Frame Material

Polymer

Frame Finish

Black

Slide Material

Stainless

Slide Finish

Nitron

Natural Stainless

Grips1

Polymer


It's shorter than the PF9 and even with the PM9; all three are approximately the same width; and the Sig is the heaviest of the group with a 20.5 ounce weight with magazine. It has both a factory laser and standard sights (meaning night sights are available), as well as one thing no other compact pistol has - interchangeable grip panels.

If the P290 is MA compliant, it's going to be a hard choice between this and the PM9...

That is all.

13 comments:

Teke said...

Now this one I like. Unlike the LC9 there appears to be an decent size reduction. Compared to my current carry:
Width 1/4 inch narrower
Height 1 inch shorter
Length 1 inch shorter

And it's a SIG.

Weer'd Beard said...

Well the PM9 isn't in my armory (My WASR10, and by association my FAL were bought with my PM9 funds)because of the worthless loaded chamber indicator and thumb safety.

If all they do is add a witness hole in the chamber (a feature easy enough to ignore) and crank the trigger pull to 10lbs (which will hopefully be on par with the very agreeable *to me at least* smooth long DA pulls on the full-size mass-legal sigs) and it doesn't suffer from the overly overbuilt nature of the Walther PPS (neat little gun, but WAYYY too tall in the side for what it is, and for pocket carry) I might be right with you Jay.

Tho I still have hopes that The Alans might let me have the PM45 that I'd still prefer...

Ross said...

Jay, want to put any money down on whether or not the price tag breaks the four-digit mark?

They seem like nice guns, but the price on $ig $auer$ i$ amazing...

Mad Saint Jack said...

Hmmmm. New Sig, new Ruger, we had better not see a drought of 9mm ammo like we did with .380.

Jay G said...

teke,

My thoughts exactly. I, like my good friend Mike W., lurves me some Sig...

Weerd,

I was thinking the same thing - it shouldn't take too much to make the P290 MA compliant. Maybe I'll take a run up to SigSauer and ask them... ;)

Ross,

I'd be surprised if they priced it *that* much higher than the Kahr. Sure, the MSRP might break four digits, but the off-the-shelf price won't.

MSJ,

Given that 9mm is a military caliber, I'd doubt it.

Besides, I've got a little bit of 9mm hoarded away... ;)

Mike W. said...

Why a 9 lb. DAO trigger? DAK is only ~7.5.

Jay G said...

Um, probably because DAK != pocket carry?

JoeMerchant24 said...

MSRP is mid $700, which will of course be less on the street.

I've handled one of the early models and it's surprisingly solid for its size.

(sidebar: Teke175.. would that be a college-based nickname? Phi Chapter alum here)

Wally said...

This is intriguing.... My pocket gun (AMT) is due for burial at sea. The P290 is 1/2" longer and 3/8" taller than an AMT Backup 380 - my benchmark for an easy pocket carry gun. Half an inch isn't a bad price to pay for stepping up from .380 to 9mm. And being able to fire more than one round would really set it apart from the AMT :)

I wonder when I will be able to fondleate a P290? HMMMNNNNN.....

bogie said...

I currently have a 239 that is just awesome. I perked up my ears (figuratively) when I saw the article in G&A.

Will have to keep a watch out for this one.

Teke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teke said...

Joe. Sidebar response( That it would be(Pi Psi).
Never came up with a new handle and have been using it for years.)

Adam said...

So it's almost the same size and weight as the KT P11, but with half the capacity, and 3 times the cost.

KelTec P11:
Weight 20 oz w/loaded magazine
Length 5.6 in
Barrel length 3.1 in
Width 1 in
Height 4.3 in
Capacity 10 or 12 round, flush magazine.



Really, if they're going to make it so thick, anyway, why not a double-stack?