Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Attack of the Nines!

Today over at Guns, Holsters, and Gear, I discuss the recent explosion in pocket 9mms.

I never realized it until I sat down to write this article, but until very recently - like, the last 5 years - there were no small, light, single stack 9mm semi-automatic on the market. The Kel-Tec PF9 was the first one out of the gate in 2006, and remained the only game in town (unless you wanted to shell out kilobucks for a Rohrbaugh, of course) for two full years until the release of the Walther PPS. Obviously a lot has to do with the concealed carry movement and the veritable explosion in the number of states that started granting concealed carry permits - there's no sense making a tiny gun that no one will buy, but it was surprising that as late as 2005 there were no little 9mm guns.

Anyways, I've got a round-up of current micro-9 offerings for comparison's sake.

That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As was pointed out by a friend of mine on Facebook, you forgot the Kahr PM9, which predates the Kel-Tec by 4-5 years.

Anonymous said...

Kahr PM9
---------
Weight 15.9 ounces,
Length: 5.3 inches
Width: 1.268 inches
Height: 4.0 inches
barrel: 3.0 inch
capacity 6+1

Gunmart said...

Not to b**h or anything, but if you are gonna put the PPS and the Taurus slim on the list then I thin you need to put the Glock 26 on there too (same size and weight). Even the P290 comes in at 20 oz. I personally would amend the category to only include the new 9s that are actually pocket able.

*BTW - Khar now has a CM9 out that is the same size and weight as the PM9 and is a much lower price point:

http://gunmart.blogspot.com/2011/02/kahr-cm9-msrp-and-other-specs.html

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment on the Kahr P9 but see Mopar has represented the Moonies already.
The P9 was my first polymer and my first striker fired pistol, and that started a long obsession. The P9 is my clear winner for pocket carry. I can only assume the PM9 would pocket carry a little better yet.
-Wally

Jay G said...

Y'know, I had intended to include the PM9... Can't for the life of me figure out how I missed it, especially considering that it's one of the ones under consideration for the G. armory...

George said...

I've never understood why Glock hasn't jumped into that market. A slim, single stack 9mm at a Glock price point would be awesome. I love my Kahr, but it is expensive.

dustydog said...

Nice article.
I would mention the Kel Tec P11, if one is going to mention other large mouse gun 9 mm's
( http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-11/ )

This graphic would be a nice supplement to your article:
http://www.mouseguns.com/observe/9mmchart.gif

Anonymous said...

Although it wasn't quite as light/small as the others, the Star BKM redated the rest by about forty years...

TBeck said...

I loves me some Kahr. I've owned a CW9 and currently carry a CW45. I think the CW line is one of the best values in the industry right now.