Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Change of Heart...

I've been talking about a 9mm carbine for a while now. However, having seen the .45 ACP AR-15 at Oleg's, that's all in the past now. I'd been talking with Wally, he of the 57mm recoilless rifle and belt-fed AR-15 fame, about 9mm AR-15s. He's brought one to the Northeast Bloggershoot before, and since I've been putting more rounds through my Bushmaster, I've been warming to the platform. It seemed like a logical step if I wanted a pistol caliber carbine, given that I've got a bunch of accessories for the AR-15 and the platform allows such interchangeability.

I've wanted a .45 carbine for a while, having been a huge fan of the Thompson submachine gun in both military and civilian guise. What's not to love about the Chicago typewriter? The Marlin Camp Carbine was another option, attractive in that it takes 1911 magazines, but out of production and harder to fine. The Mech-Tech conversions look intriguing, but require either a donor 1911 or a Glock 21 - and in MA, either one is a pricey option for the donor gun alone.

So I might just be putting together a .45 ACP AR-15. Well, technically, having someone else put it together for me, at least mostly - I can install stocks and handguards and such, and could most likely get all the internals together if needed, but there's an up-and-coming business that's (relatively) close to me that I feel I should patronize that will be getting my long gun business. I have utmost faith in their ability, and hope to be adding them to the sidebar ads in the near future.

Now I need to find some grease gun magazines and I'm good to go!

That is all.

7 comments:

JB Miller said...

Ever see a KRISS Carbine?

http://thearmorygroup.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/kriss_crb.gif

Dwight Brown said...

"What's not to love about the Chicago typewriter?"

At least in the current semi-auto incarnation from Kahr Arms, the magazines appear to be made out of compressed unicorn tears, and priced accordingly.

Anonymous said...

How many Grease Gun mags would you be buying?
I might be able to help you out.

Tam said...

Being stuck in a mag-ban state, you'll probably have an easier time finding grease gun sticks than you would pre-ban Uzi or Colt mags.

Jay G said...

JB Miller,

The KRISS is nice, I'll grant, but there's no way in hell I'm dropping $1800+ on what is essentially a range plaything...

Dwight Brown,

Fortunately, the USGI stick magazines can be modified to fit, at least what I've heard...

Anon,

I'll need to get the gun first, but once that's all set I'm good for anywhere north of a dozen or so...

Tam,

That's another consideration, although my source for the AR has assured me that we can find plenty of pre-ban 9mm or .45 ACP mags... ;)

dsmith512 said...

You might check out JR Carbine
http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/THE-J-R-CARBINE-c282.htm

Also Taurus is set to make a new 45 carbine http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6035

Jim said...

Avoid the Marlin like the plauge.

It's fun gun, to be sure, but it hasn't the durabilty of the average Hi-Point.

The internals consist of too much solvent-sensitive plastic, and low-grade MIM bits. Parts for the thing are scarce, to boot.

I literally shot the barrel of mine loose with just a few high speed mag dumps. The whole thing ended up about 30 degrees canted to the left, and once cooled, could easily continue to be unscrewed from there by hand.

If only they'd have cut the barrel threads in the opposite direction of the rifling, eh?

Count me in on the AR .45 carbine though. Come to think of it, there's no reason why you can't buld your own!

http://www.cncguns.com/projects/AR45lower.html


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX