Friday, March 25, 2011

SW1911 Review

I review the Smith & Wesson SW1911 at Guns, Holsters, and Gear.

This was a joy to write - the SW1911 is really one of the best 1911s I've handled, almost on a par with the Series 80 Colt Gold Cup National Match that's my pride and joy. The Smith is accurate, reliable, and just plain a joy to shoot - everyone that's had a chance to shoot it has agreed it's a great gun. I've even tried to get it to "break" - running it 300+ rounds between cleaning/lubing, limp-wristing, etc. and it still feeds, fires, and ejects everything I put into it. For the asking price - less than $900 at GunsForSale! - it's a lot of 1911 for the price.

The SW1911 is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

That is all.

7 comments:

North said...

"The SW1911 is so choice."

Right when I got there I was thinking that the last time I heard someone use 'choice' was the last time I watch FB. :-)

Bubblehead Les. said...

But, but..... doesn't it have the Dreadful Parts of MIM in it? Won't that cause it to blow up when a human passes within a hundred yards of it?

MAgunowner said...

I shoot my S&W 1911 in USPSA single stack division. It is a great gun overall.

My only compalaint is the firing pin safety. On mine, and several others I've shot, it's possible for my skinny hand to depress the grip safety enough to allow the trigger to move, but not enough to completely disengage the firing pin safety.

So the hammer drops and it goes click instead of bang. I've completely removed the Shwartz mechanism in my competition gun for this reason.

Before buying a S&W 1911 as a carry gun, I'd call the factory to see if they'd fix the timing on it for free.

North said...

"I've completely removed the Shwartz mechanism"

I vow to use that phrase 3 times this week.

Guffaw in AZ said...

This is good to hear. The 70's meme was always 'S&W revolvers, Colt semis, never the other way around'.
Glad to hear they're getting it.

Laura said...

alright, that seals it...i'm bringing the Rock Island with me to Pittsburgh. you need to handle their Match pistol. i'd be willing to bet good money it's equal to the S&W.

Weer'd Beard said...

I love mine to death. I can't break them either. Certainly my S&W1911Sc is coming to the NRA con for show-and-tell