Friday, April 22, 2011

More Scenes from DC

We did the full-blown tourist bit yesterday, with a tour of DC via tourbus. Yeah, it's schlocky. Yeah, it's expensive. But I do like the results:

We saw the Washington monument:



(No idea who the guy was, I think he followed me around getting in my shots)


And the Capitol:



(Yes, I intentionally got the "Stop" light in for not-so-subtle hints...)


Saw a full-blown DC freakshow:



(See? I pick on the right-leaning wackjobs too!)


And Arlington National Cemetery:



(Yes, I made the kids watch the changing of the guard. They liked it.)


The view from Arlington is spectacular:



(From the front of the Custis-Lee mansion).


And, lastly, no trip would be complete without visiting Honest Abe:



(Even on a weekday, the Lincoln Memorial is packed...)


Today we are going to attempt to hit three Smithsonian museums (American and Natural History and Air & Space) and the Mint...

That is all.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Natural History + kids = you're not leaving 'till they kick you out. i promise. i still lose hours in there and i've seen all the exhibits numerous times.

Butch Cassidy said...

The changing of the guard is...words defy it.

Everyone needs to see it.

Also, years ago when my parents brought me to DC, there was a really good Irish pub around congress. I wonder if it is still there?

Wally said...

At Arlington, did you say hi to Teddy ?

Brad_in_IL said...

Make sure you tell TheBoy how in 2003 the tomb guards were offered to stop their walk while a hurricane raged, and they politely told their commanding officer to stick it.

- Brad

Tango said...

JayG, I'm not sure if it's too late or if time will even permit it, but IF IT'S NOT too late, try to see the silent drill team at the Iwo Jima memorial. Cool to see the memorial even without the silent drill team there. I THINK they're there once a week, but I'll be damned if I know when.

doubletrouble said...

Kinda late here, but I hope you remember to pick up my 100,000 "souvenirs" from the mint.