Monday, May 9, 2011

Because I Live to Serve...

Reader Chris wonders what the optic is in use here:


Now, unless I sorely miss my mark, that's a Browning M2, the venerable "Ma Deuce" in action. It appears to be shooting tracers of some sort, but the optic on the belt-fed .50 BMG is unlike any I've seen. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's some kind of night vision scope - given the large objective and the fact that it's on a belt-fed machine gun, I doubt it's for delicate distance shooting.

Anyone have any ideas?

That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

AN/TVS-5 night vision sight with biocular eyepiece.

Manchester Firing Line has one on their display M2.

Regards,
NMM1AFan

Broken Andy said...

That's a really cool pic.

zeeke42 said...

If that's a real pic, the spotter must be deaf as a post.

Anonymous said...

Zeek, if you look at the full sized pic, you can see he has earplugs in.

Gunnutmegger said...

No bi-ocular eyepiece on that one.

Daddy Hawk said...

If his biography is to be believed, Carlos Hathcock was using an Unertl scope on an M2 in Viet Nam to make kills out past 2000 yards. Apparently, the cyclic rate was low enough that he could take 1 shot at a time.

Heath J said...

You know you wanted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wod-MudLNPA

chris said...

Thanks

David said...

Shepherd K, I believe that the M2 has a trigger that allows semiautomatic as well as full-auto firing. No need to tap the trigger for single shots.