Thursday, May 5, 2011

Truly, I Have Found My People.

I stopped by the LaserLyte booth to meet up with Aaron, the VP and my main contact at LaserLyte. We never connected last year, and had been exchanging e-mails back and forth in the recent months making sure we nailed down a time when we would both be present on the convention center floor so we could finally meet. Sunday - the last day of the show - I finally managed to make my way over to the booth and was rewarded with this magnificent sight:

They knew I was coming!

Aaron had a couple of items he thought I'd be interested in:

Neat!

There's a new kind of pistol bayonet - this is the Mini-Tac pistol bayonet model PB4 - as well as a quad rail system for double barrel shotguns. Elmer Fudd's shotgun never had it so good... Look for this to be part of a special Friday Gun pr0n in the coming weeks...

And, lastly, this one was so new that they only had the one prototype:

Great idea!

It's a side-mount laser sight for the Ruger LCP/Kel-Tec P3AT. Rather than attach to the front of the trigger guard, which alters the dimensions of the firearm, it attaches to the side with the replacement of two pins. From the way it handled on the blue gun, it seems pretty intuitive to turn on, and it helps keep the trigger finger aligned with the side of the firearm when not in the trigger guard.

Lots of cool new stuff coming out from LaserLyte!

That is all.

10 comments:

Matt said...

So on the P3AT side-saddle laser, I have an ergonomics question. I like that the front "tang" is flat, so you can put your finger along the slide, but wouldn't that position occlude the laser?

Most people that I see "super elevate" their finger up onto the slide, not just along the lower frame, when the remove it from the trigger guard. Especially as small as the P3AT frame is, it seems to me that would block the light.

Jay G said...

If you put your trigger finger directly under the unit, it doesn't block the laser.
Oh, and when you go to *use* the laser (i.e. put your finger on the trigger), it's not in the way...

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

I like that. I wouldn't have to replace my current holster at the same time.

The only improvement I could see would be to extend the rear piece around to mount an activation stud on the back or side of the grip - so that a proper grip activates the laser, rather than requiring a separate motion. That is where the CT LaserGuard would still come out the winner right now.

Doing that would also allow them to shorten or thin the front portion, which - as it is now - could still interfere with a lot of molded and kydex holsters and defeat the purpose of not making it a guard-mounted style.

Now I have a couple of images in my head. I may have to do a post on this later when I can draw them out.

Also, if anyone from LaserLyte is reading this, I have a Kel-Tec P3AT, and I'm perfectly willing to become a product tester (without, of course, horning in on Jay's action). :)

Mad Saint Jack said...

Double barrel shotgun need at least two bayonets on it or I will be disappointed.

Gunmart said...

They make great lasers, and their activation buttons are much easier to activate then the ones on the new S&W Bodyguards. This thing has a lot of potential, and should sell very well.

lee n. field said...

That side mount is interesting.

I assume it'll be reversible (left side or right side). Crosspins that will let us use the belt clip too? Belt clip on the right, laser on the left, slide the thumb up to actuate the laser. Hmmmm.

What, I wonder, do they use to power it?

Veddy veddy interestink. Mark me down for one when they have a PF9 version.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see an try this one out.. having both the P3AT and the PF-9.. I would be VERY happy to have something in this configuration.. already have clips on them an really don't use the clips that much but rather carry in breast pocket of vest or leather jacket. Would be interesting to see if could be mounted on either side! Main reason would be for right handers index finger to not obstruct the laser projection.. perhaps even a higher elevation of the laser on the same mount. I was holding my 380 with finger on guard as well as on trigger.. looking at your picture I too see an obstruction problem. The laser needs to be mounted level with the slide or as high as positionable as to not interfere with the slide access.

lee n. field said...

And, thinking about it, with a left side mounting, the laser would have to be designed to leave clearance for the take down pin and (on a PF9) the slide release. Might still be do-able. Otherwise, belt clip or laser but not both.

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Okay, I have a drawing of my idea posted. What do people think?

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Looks like Blogger's problems ate the comment I posted yesterday (or the day before?).

I have posted the sketch of my idea, that I mentioned here earlier, over at my blog. Maybe Jay's followers at LaserLyte might stumble on it and like it. More choices are always good. :D