Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Green Police?

Stretch sends in a story that forces me to dust off my wookie suit:

UN security council to consider climate change peacekeeping

A special meeting of the United Nations security council is due to consider whether to expand its mission to keep the peace in an era of climate change.

Small island states, which could disappear beneath rising seas, are pushing the security council to intervene to combat the threat to their existence.

There has been talk, meanwhile, of a new environmental peacekeeping force – green helmets – which could step into conflicts caused by shrinking resources.

Very timely article, considering Tam's recent missive about gun ownership and such. This is exactly the kind of story that feeds into the "blue helmets on American soil" nonsense that populate some gun forums and chat rooms (and blog). Heck, if you'd talked to the Jay G. of 1999, he was pretty damn well convinced that Klinton (yes, I spelled it with a K; my wookie suit has always been long and luxurious, thank you) was going to suspend the 2000 elections and keep the peace with Belgian troops.

But here's the thing: The "troops" aren't going to have guns and tanks, they're going to have laptops and rulebooks. They're going to legislate everything away, bit by bit, rather than one dramatic showdown - they know they'll lose the dramatic showdown. What's especially notable in the article is that there's no debate whatsoever about the reality of "climate change", that nebulous, squishy nothing that used to be "global warming" which used to be "hole in the ozone layer" which used to be "acid rain", which used to be "the new ice age", which... "Climate change" is real, they claim, and therefore it is.

And if they do start painting those helmets green, well, a whole generation of keyboard commandos is going to have to change their targets...

That is all.

7 comments:

Irish said...

Only change a few words and it fits:


The Green police, they live inside of my head.
The Green police, they come to me in my bed.
The Green police, they're coming to arrest me, oh no.

You know that talk is cheap, and those rumors ain't nice.
And when I fall asleep I don't think I'll survive the night, the night.

'Cause they're waiting for me.
They're looking for me.
Ev'ry single day they're driving me insane.
Those men inside my brain.

The Green police, they live inside of my head.
(Live inside of my head.)
The Green police, they come to me in my bed.
(Come to me in my bed.)
The Green police, they're coming to arrest me, oh no.

Well, I can't tell lies, 'cause they're listening to me.
And when I fall asleep, bet they're spying on me tonight, tonight.

'Cause they're waiting for me.
They're looking for me.
Ev'ry single night they're driving me insane.
Those men inside my brain.

I try to sleep, they're wide awake, they won't leave me alone.
They don't get paid to take vacations, or let me alone.
They spy on me, I try to hide, they won't let me alone.
They persecute me, they're the judge and jury all in one.

'Cause they're waiting for me.
They're looking for me.
Ev'ry single night they're driving me insane.
Those men inside my brain.

The Green police, they live inside of my head.
The Green police, they come to me in my bed.
The Green police, they're coming to arrest me.

Jay G said...

Weird Al, call your office... :)

Anonymous said...

Death by Power Point!

Gerry

Tam said...

Of course climate change is real. Only an idiot doesn't believe in climate change! Heck, the very spot where I'm sitting used to be under a thousand feet of ice. If that's not climate change, I don't know what is.

Now, as to how much human activity affects the natural ebb and flow of the global climate? That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. ;)

Bubblehead Les. said...

The Bad Thing about this is that Obama's UN Ambassador (Susan Rice) can say "No" at the Security Council Meeting, and it's trashed. Of course, she needs orders from Obama on how to vote. So, if she votes "Yes", then Barack Hussein Obama believes that using Military Force to Enforce "Climate Change Abatement" is GOOD THING, and then the EPA can call in an Airstrike.

Hey, Stranger things have Happened on Barry's watch. Just ask Khaddaffi.

Chris said...

But the Department of Education has all those shotguns and SWAT teams. Can we get the green helmet guys some super soakers or something?

Skip said...

Green hats/blue hats, pffft.
Sis said 'cause I'm white, a Vet, and conservative, I must a 'terrorist'.
Lotsa targets to play with.