Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kilt + Icon = ???

To show the lengths to which I will go to increase awareness of the Kilted to Kick Cancer campaign, I spent some time in front of one of the most popular fast food joints in Massachusetts:

Kelly's, Meet Kilt

Yes, that's me standing in front of none other than Kelly's Roast Beef, one of the most famous summer institutions in MA. The original Kelly's is a Revere Beach tradition, a sandwich shop where you can order the original roast beef sandwich at a walkup window, a tradition now for almost as long as my parents have been alive.

I stood out front of Kelly's while drinking my coffee (Dunks lahhge rehgalah, natch) for a good half hour. A steady stream of cars flowed by, in and out of the parking lot, waiting their turn in the drive-through line, etc. No one even batted an eye at the shaved head dude in the kilt. The more I wear a kilt, the more surprised I get at the complete and utter lack of curiosity about why I'm wearing it.

So, AD, this one is for you!

That is all.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Next year try it with the T-shirt, and maybe a silly cap. Face it, you look fierce.

Dragon said...

You should try an experiment...OC in the kilt, and see if folk keep ignoring you. ;-)

Irish said...

Jay, it doenst surprise me at all.

Most likely people see you as:

A: Intimidating.
B: Mentally Ill
c: Lost

Nowaday's people don't want to get involved unless its a dog locked in a car or you are spanking your kid.

Maybe if you put a sign up and were taking donations that would help ( I know it defeats the purpose) of you should have some hot red head in a kilt with you ;)

Good luck, you do have ALOT of cajones for what you are doing!!

BTW... Dragon's OC is a great idea :)

greg said...

In the northwest, it is not uncommon to see a person or two in a kilt. There was one guy I used to see a safeway about once a week, and he just flat lived in a kilt.

I have through about adapting that life-style myself(I mean, if Lazarus Long can do it, why can't I?) but the cost of name-brand Utili-Kilts makes me rethink myself...

Unknown said...

Greg!!! Think, man, think! Imagine the kilt your wife could put together! I'm bettin' you'd look pretty good in one, and I suspect she'd think so too...

Anonymous said...

Try pinning the thing up by 4-6" and then see what happens. No we won't bail you out either especially if we contribute to "the cause."

Ambulance Driver said...

"I have through about adapting that life-style myself(I mean, if Lazarus Long can do it, why can't I?) but the cost of name-brand Utili-Kilts makes me rethink myself..."

Do what I did, and make your own.

Weer'd Beard said...

Supah Beef!!!!

Hunter said...

"...I have through about adapting that life-style myself(I mean, if Lazarus Long can do it, why can't I?) but the cost of name-brand Utili-Kilts makes me rethink myself..."
Just do it, as the big name sports equipment company says. You would wear out a new pair of Carhartts before you would wear out the UtiliKilt. And get way more compliments.
Hunter
Fully kilted for almost five years. (Pants only for the wage-paying job)