Friday, October 21, 2011

Why Is It So Hot, and Why Are We In This Handbasket?

Bubblehead Les is trying to kill me. There can be no other possible explanation for him sending me this story:

'Adult Baby' in California Wins Right to Social Security Disability Checks
REDDING, Calif. -- A 30-year-old California man who wears diapers and lives as an “adult baby” can keep his $800-a-month Social Security disability checks, the agency ruled.

Stanley Thornton’s infantile lifestyle won him national attention after a National Geographic TV show revealed how he was spoon-fed and clad in baby clothes by his roommate and how he built furniture like oversized high chairs in his Redding, Calif., apartment.
[deep breath] Those of you with low tolerances for profanity should click away from MArooned at this point. Then again, if you have a low tolerance for profanity, you shouldn't be here anyways...

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??? This fruit loop is getting nearly a grand a month because he's a burger shy of a happy meal? He gets to live out his bizarre fantasy while you and I foot the bill? Seriously? Look, I would dearly love to set myself up as the mall ninja di tutti mall ninjas and wear nothing but tactical black clothing all day long while toting a G17L and a 48 pound Bushmaster. Where can I sign up for my $800 a month?

You know what's especially galling to me? When I was a graduate student at UNH, I made about $800 a month. I made do with shitbox cars that I had to bondo together and work on in the rain, ate a lot of Ramen noodles, and got by very modestly for a few years. For that $800 a month, I taught two laboratory courses and furthered my adviser's research - and I was damn happy to do it.

And yet whack-a-mole-for-brains gets the same amount because he'd rather game the system and play dress up? Brother, if he's one of the 99%, then I'm gladly the 1% everyone hates. Look, I don't care what the hell you do in the privacy of your own home. You want to smear your body with feces and declare yourself "Ook: King of the Primates", you just go on right ahead. BUT DON'T FUCKING EXPECT ME TO PAY FOR IT.


We all have the right to pursue happiness, not have it spoon-fed to us on the taxpayer's dime.

That is all.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

The guy quoted in the article makes a great point. If that weirdo is able to design and build adult-sized baby furniture, he shouldn't be on public disability. He clearly has marketable carpentry skills, and the ability to produce.

Tim Covington said...

What the hell? My mother-in-law has worked hard most of her life. Yet, when she was medically unable to work, she was told by social security that she hadn't paid enough in to qualify for disability (because she spent part of her life as a Texas teacher, and they don't pay into SS). I can tell you right now, she spent more years contributing than this ass munch living out his fantasies.
I am writing my congressman. This is absolutely not right.

Ruth said...

Seriously??

There are months NOW where I don't make $800 a month. Now true my husband makes more than that, so its not like I'm lacking, but really?? $800 a month to be a big baby??

And Marko's right, if he can design and build adult baby furniture he's GOT skills.

Anonymous said...

Preach it brother. To quote Scripture, "If a man doth not work, neither shall he eat."

Ross said...

YHGTBSM. I have two friends who really ARE disabled, and the shit they had to go through to even GET that disability was unreal. And this... this... I can't find a noun foul enough to describe him - this creature gets it handed to him????

CA can go FOAD. And I wish it would.

Brad_in_IL said...

CA may just FOAD . . . at least die anyway. They just adopted a state-wide Cap-and-Trade law. To paraphrase Marie Antoinette, let 'em eat carbon credits.

- Brad

Dirk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dirk said...

(checks calendar) Nope, not April 1st.

Unbelievable! There's no way in hell this lunatic ought to be getting a *DIME* of taxpayer money!

Like Jay, there's been times in my life where $800 would have seemed like a fortune! I had the crap car, the crap jobs, lived in rental trailers with several roommates, worked late hours at two (or more) jobs, and just got by.

Angus McThag said...

The La Raza folks keep demanding California back.

Do you think they realize they get the Californians with it?

Katherine said...

I...words fail me. Well no, they don't, but even Jay might refuse to publish this comment if I said so much as one third of the things bouncing around my mind.

I'm a grad student. Aside from my slightly-less-than $700/month assistantship, I work two jobs. For me to get more than five or six hours of sleep at night is a rare and precious thing. This *#^@!! is getting paid $800 per month to do WHAT, exactly? And he wants an APOLOGY (yes, I'm serious, look it up) from a politician who actually had the guts to question whether he should receive disability payments to further his self-indulgent and immature-in-every-sense-of-the-word LIFESTYLE?

I partly tore my right ACL about two and a half years ago. As an undergraduate student who worked three jobs, I couldn't afford insurance, and none of the jobs I worked offered anything more than the most craptastic insurance imaginable (as in, my premiums totalled more than my coverage...no, I am not making that up.). You know what? I put on my big-girl panties and dealt with the fact that for three months I couldn't walk without my right knee giving way from time to time, and that for a year after the initial injury I couldn't go up or down stairs without the charming sensation of having a steak knife jabbed into that knee with every step. Did it suck? Yep. But I didn't have insurance and I did not expect that anyone take care of it for free. Nor did I even consider applying for disability, even though my primary job (retail) required me to be on my feet for over eight hours straight several days each week.

Oh, I'll give him an apology ...if that's what they're calling it these days. *snarls* Give me ten minutes in a room with this guy and a cluebat, and methinks I may adjust his attitude on that point considerably.

Sorry for the rant. As you can see, my tolerance for taxpayer-funded laziness is...minimal.

Guess I must be part of the 1%.

Anonymous said...

I make less than $800 in a year. WTF. D:

Stretch said...

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.— H. L. Mencken