Thursday, November 24, 2011

Go Buy Some Jack Daniels

Les sent in this story. I'm going to go buy a large bottle of Jack for the holidays because of this...

Jack Daniel's Funds Travel Expenses for Soldiers
NASHVILLE, Tenn.-- Tennessee whiskey maker Jack Daniel's is donating more than $100,000 to pay for plane tickets and travel funds for soldiers at Fort Campbell, Ky., to spend the December holiday season with their families all over the country.

The distiller is also asking the public to make additional contributions that could help hundreds of cash-strapped soldiers who otherwise would be stuck at the post on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line. Donations can be made to the Operation Ride Home campaign online at www.jdoperationridehome.com.
I figure I contributed quite a bit to JD in my younger days, but I'll pick up a bottle to say "thanks" to Jack Daniels for doing this. The holidays can be tough for those away from their families (go wish Borepatch a happy Thanksgiving, speaking thereof); that JD would do something like this, even with the poor economy, is nothing short of amazing.

Go buy a bottle of Jack for the holidays - help a soldier get home to his or her family.

That is all.

13 comments:

Lissa said...

Hmmm ... That bottle of Johnny Walker Gold I got mike for Christmas is just about kicked. Do they make a fancy booze?

DaddyBear said...

Jack Daniels is owned by Brown-Forman, which is headquartered here in Louisville. Here's a list of all their brands.

http://www.brown-forman.com/brands/

JD isn't allowed in the Bear house because Irish Woman was weened on bourbon, but their other brands make for some great sipping.

Ruth said...

I almost never drink, and only rarely use alcohol in cooking, but maybe I'll pick up a bottle of something to play with....

North said...

If you don't drink - or even if you do - you might want to try my recipe:

http://northwest1524.blogspot.com/2011/11/drunk-piggy-jack-daniels-pork.html

David said...

Just one more way JD is pissing off the left. Love it!

Bubblehead Les. said...

As a Beam Man, I am willing to make a Sacrifice for the Troops, because nothing sucked worse than spending Thanksgiving on Base or at Sea. Unless one had the Christmas Duty, like I did in N.H. in '86.

MauserMedic said...

Personal note on JD's troop support; on my deployment 2008 Sinai Peninsula peacekeeping deployment, our enlisted club on post consisted of a building bare of decoration, due to lack of funding. JD answered a request for any spare marketing materials with enough gear and wall decorations to outfit an entire bar. I'll note that Jim Beam did the same thing, as well as Indian Motorcycle. I've been buying them both ever since (Indian, maybe when I can afford it).

Butch Cassidy said...

Jack goes well with doctor Pepper, and is actually my go-to whiskey for mixing with stuff like Coke. And I am a scotch snob.

I'll buy two bottles.

Borepatch said...

What a great program.

And thanks for the shout-out, Jay. But Mom and Younger Brother are here at FOB Borepatch, so I, too, am safely surrounded by family.

It's another story entirely for the troops.

the band-aid bandit said...

I don't even like JD all that much (at least the "base level, the "upper echelons are decent though). That is a textbook class act. Was planning to head to the local packie in the morning to try and snag a bottle of JW double black. Will have to pick up some JD to either have on hand, or to bring to the couple of Christmas parties in the next month or so.

David said...

Oh man, I'm gonna die.

I am descended on both sides of the family from several generations of alcoholics. Each person had their own personal demon.

My demon is JD and coke. I would be perfectly happy drinking nothing but JD and coke for the rest of my life. Anything else I drink is easy - have a few drinks then quit. JD and coke I would drink forever. So I drink one per year, just to prove to myself that I can drink only one per year.

I have been working on the same bottle for over 10 years. But I might buy another one - to cook with - fish batter, bbq sauce, marinades, etc. I'm sure I will find something to do with it.

Carteach said...

Posting this on my blog, and tomorrow I'll buy a few bottles of JD to show my pleasure regarding their actions.

Brad_in_IL said...

I could certainly stand to add a fifth of Gentleman Jack to my stash.

- Brad