Tuesday, November 8, 2011

MArooned Product Review: Crimson Trace Laser Sight Grips, Redux II

I mentioned bringing my SIG SAUER P226 to the range this past weekend as part of my new shooter intro. It's great in that I've got the 9mm slide and barrel as well as the .22LR setup, so it serves double duty. There's another reason for bringing the big Sig, though: The Crimson Trace Laser Sight grips.

I've found that having a laser sight on a firearm for a new shooter helps illustrate different lessons. When they're anticipating recoil and jerking the trigger, they can see the laser dot dip down. When shooting 9mm, there was a perfect display of recoil as the laser dot rose northward after each shot - it helps prepare the new shooter for what they can expect, at least somewhat.

Getting on target, I've found, can be the first and often most daunting task facing a new shooter when they're getting started. One trick I've found is to hold off on bullseye targets and start off with a plain white paper plate - that way they don't obsess over not hitting the 10 ring with every shot and can focus on keeping their shots on the 8" plate. The first range trip is not about developing accurate shooting - it's about getting used to the bang and the recoil and learning the basics - the Crimson Trace Laser Sight grips really helped a lot with this.

And the accuracy is just amazing:

Not bad for MoB

Ten shots, offhand, rapid fire (upper left quadrant; the other six shots were from the S&W model 17 earlier). The laser really helps keep track of where the followup shots are aimed, and has held zero remarkably well since installation. I haven't touched the adjustments since I first sighted the grip laser in, and it's still hitting dead on at 25 feet.

Again, the laser sights aren't a panacea - you need to be able to hold steady and squeeze the trigger smoothly or shots aren't going to go where you intend them to go. Jerk the trigger and the shots go left; tighten the trigger they go right; physics will not be denied. The laser doesn't guarantee that shots will magically wind up dead-on; you still need to do your part as well.

I'm happy to report that the Crimson Trace Laser Sight grips are very well-suited for doing their part.

That is all.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

I have the CT for my non-MA compliant LCP. It makes that little beast aim-able and doesn't appreciatively alter the dimensions.

Roger said...

I have CT lasergrips on all 3 of my carry handguns. I think that they are an excellent defensive pistol addition. I'll be trying a green laser on my M1 carbine this week to see how it works in daylight.

Lissa said...

Too big for my hands *wrinkles nose*

Daniel in Brookline said...

Thanks for the mini-review, Jay.

In re patterns that indicate shooting symptoms: care to elaborate, maybe expand to a full blogpost (if you haven't already)? For example, does the same "jerk to the left" happen for left-handed shooters?

cheers,
DiB

Will Brown said...

A minor quibble regarding CT Laser Grips (full disclosure; I also have CT Laser Grips on my carry guns).

I've noticed that there is a distinctly different stance taken when firing over a laser as compared to using the iron sights. I find my head to be well elevated so as to have an unobstructed view of the target(s) and the laser dot and then I "shoot the dot". Trying to acquire a traditional sight picture with the traditional sights obstructs my view of the laser's aim point (which defeats the purpose of the thing IMO).

A new shooter wouldn't know to recognise and allow for the requirements of two not-entirely-mutually-supportive sighting mechanisms. Something else to make a point of during the intro range session, especially if a potential purchase is being considered by the newbie.

Firehand said...

Will, I've noticed the same thing about myself.