Tuesday, November 22, 2011

MArooned Product Review: VZ J-Frame Grips

I linked to Fred's new S&W 442 yesterday, and he had a very simple question for me in comments:
Jay - I've been meaning to ask how you like the VZ Grips on yours. I've got a set on my 1911 and like them, and the black rubber stock ones on the new stubby are quite boring.
I mentioned, back right around this year's gunnie prom, about having picked up a pair of VZ grips at the NRA convention. Here's a closeup of the grips:



Texture!

and here they are next to the stock Hogue rubber grips:

Form *and* function!

Both grips do not extend beyond the bottom of the frame, meaning that while they don't require as much room in a pocket, neither offers your pinkie any purchased. It's under-the-grip for Mr. Pinkie! The weight difference between the two grips is indistinguishable; the drips are dimensionally equivalent right down to the shape of the finger grooves. Aesthetics aside, they're pretty comparable as far as in-the-pocket or in an IWB holster.

I was concerned with the VZs that the Snubbie from Hell™ would be harder to shoot - and was pleasantly surprised to find the the opposite was true. The VZ grips are less "sticky" than the Hogue monogrips, but on the VZs, the fine checkering that gives them such rich texture also helps to really anchor them in your hand without feeling like you've taken hold of a rasp. Shooting the SfH with the VZ grips on was no more painful than with the Hogue monogrip OEM stocks.

And they sure as hell look better!

This is one of those rare cases where you get both form and function. Not only do the VZ grips look a good sight better than the plain jane black rubber grips, they're even slightly more controllable on such an unruly beast as the 12 ounce .357 Magnum "Snubbie from Hell™". If the concern is whether the J-frame will be harder to control with VZ grips instead of the Hogue monogrips, worry no more - it might even be easier! In any case, if that's the concern, put it to rest - if anything, you'll like it better.

Now, if VZ would like another review, I'll bet a pair of these beauties would look fantastic on my Colt Gold Cup 1911...

That is all.

12 comments:

bluesun said...

[rant]If they would only make it without the gorram finger grooves! I mean, how hard could it be! I've got a set of those hard, flat plastic Hideout Grips from Brownells for my 642, and they are MUCH more comfortable than even the set of huge Pachmayr Gripper grips, just because the stupid finger grooves prevent me from getting a nice tight grip on the gun!

THE ONLY SIZE THAT FITS ALL IS THE ONE WITHOUT FINGER GROOVES, ALL YOU GRIP MANUFACTURERS OUT THERE![/rant]

Sorry. I go be quiet now.

Jay G said...

Holding back like that's gonna spike your blood pressure, son...

:D

Actually, I'd wager dollars to donuts that if you were to ask VZ, they might be able to pull something together without the grooves - if they don't already have something like that in their inventory!

Anyone from VZ reading? Can you help bluesun out?

Need any reviews? :D

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

+1 from me. I too bought VZs for my 640 before gunnie prom. I am very pleased with the feel. I replaced rosewood grips from Eagle of similar size. I've been very happy with ALL of VZ's offerings. I have 1911 scales of their's as well.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

For the Gold Cup, consider the thin grips.

I noticed the J-Frame grips are a just a hair 'fatter' on the sides compared to the wood grips. This doesn't bulk it up marginally, but I think it does help the grippage.

Dave H said...

Jay, how does pocket carry compare between the rubber and VZ grips? It seems to me the rubber grips might snag on a pocket lining more easily. Is that true?

Fred said...

Thanks for the review.

Pakkinpoppa said...

I love the VZ Grips I have for my Smith J frames. Though I wish I'd bought 2 of the non black ones, I've got a Centennial that looks kinda silly with the black ones, but the gray ones work better on the 642 that is usually in a pocket....

And since I have a spare set of the black ones for a future purchase, I have an excuse to keep the eyes open for another j frame at some point.

bluesun said...

Things may have changed, but I did email them a long while back and it didn't sound like they had any/any interest. I should try again, because they look so very slick (figuratively speaking). Doesn't seem like it would take too much to make and market.

bluesun said...

Oh, and Dave:

The snagging rubber is really just another dumb thing people argue about on forums--if you think about it, your hand is covering all of the rubber when you pull the gun out of the pocket anyway. Maybe if you had something that was really sticky, but no one makes grips like that anyway.

Jay G said...

Dave,

I've carried two different J-frames in two different pocket holsters and not had a problem with the Hogue grips.

Where they do pose more of a problem, I've found, is when they're carried in a belt holster, either IWB or OWB. The grippy rubber tends to catch your cover garment and leave a distinctly revolver-grip-shape at the position you're carrying...

Dave H said...

bluesun, Jay: Thanks. I've never owned a pistol with rubber grips, but some times when I've slipped a tool with a rubber grip into my pocket I had a hard time getting it out. A lot depends on the pocket lining though. Flannel is not your friend.

Weer'd Beard said...

I thought the VZ grips felt BETTER shooting full-house loads through the Snubbie From Hell.

I'll probably pick up a pair for my 642 at some point.