Tuesday, November 22, 2011

SHOT Show-Bound?

I find myself in the pleasantly odd position of possibly being able to attend the 2012 SHOT Show in Las Vegas, NV this year. I've not yet been to SHOT, although I've known a good number of folks who have gone in previous years; from what I've heard it's a combination of NRA Convention type exposition (only X100) with over 1,500 exhibitors alone. Firearms, ammunition, optics, tactical gear; pretty much everything you could ever imagine having anything to do with the shooting sports will be represented.

IOW, it's like Gunnie Disneyland...

In that vein, if anyone has any thoughts/comments/suggestions/warnings I'd be happy to hear them. Looking at the sessions, there are a couple in the law enforcement grid that might be of interest; otherwise it's pretty industry-specific. I'd be going as "Media", so I don't know if that excludes my participation in the seminars even. Then again, looking at the floorplan and the sheer number of exhibits, I might barely have enough time to cover all ground in the four days of the show...

Anyone else going? Anyone from the Las Vegas area interested in a meet-up? I'll be traveling with the G. family (yes, I am bringing my kids to Vegas - you should have heard how excited they were when they heard they were going!), so time will be especially limited, but I should be able to get out for a bit during my time in LV. I'm not exactly thrilled about getting on a plane, mind you, but Nevada is too far even for me to drive... Besides, I have to get ready for the rest of this coming year, with trips to MO, WI, and (hopefully) CO in the works for air travel-worthy trips...

So who should I look for at 2012 SHOT Show?

That is all.

6 comments:

My Gun Culture said...

I'm going again. It's mind-bottling. Like when your thoughts get all bottled up. Make sure you register for Media Day at the Range on Monday - that's a can't miss!

And yes, you will NOT be able to cover all the exhibits in four days :-)

Let me know your plans, love to say hello while there!

Bubblehead Les. said...

Foot Powder and a Lot of Aspirin. The LV Con. Center could build Dirigibles! Extra Camera. Extra Batteries. Extra SD Cards. Double check Nevada CCW Laws for Reciprocity. Empty Shoulder Bag for all the Swag, you'll want to keep your hands free. Take a day and go to Hoover Dam with the Family, that thing will tell you EXACTLY how big a "Berm" Really is! In case of a Zombie Apocalypse, head North by North East towards Idaho.

Hope that helps.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

My feet ache just thinking about all that walking you'll do.

Old NFO said...

Bring REALLY good shoes...

Richard said...

As a vet of multiple shows, here are a few of my suggestions...

1. Good shoes or boots. You will be on your feet all day (and night depending on what you like to do after the show).

2. Extra luggage. Depending on what you decide to carry away, you will need to pack it home. Catalogs and other stuff will pile up VERY quickly and can really get heavy. Consider using the shipping service on the ground floor of the convention center to ship stuff back. It ain't cheap, but it beats lugging it through an airport.

3. Tylenol/Advil.

4. Water can/bottle you can tote while working the floor. Some companies will have refreshments if you are nice to them (TAPCO - I love you guys! Those water flasks saved my life last year!).

5. Some sort of pack or sling bag when you are on the floor.

6. Make sure you are signed up for Media Day at the Range. That is the best place to (1) have fun and (2) meet lots of the company insiders in a less crowded situation. You can talk to the actual engineer who designed the pistol at media day (and shoot it), whereas on the floor of the show you will not likely get that chance.

7. Camera and gear. Lighting sucks in convention centers and SHOT is no different. I've tried a lot of different flash modifiers etc. and have never been completely happy. This year I'm going to try some of the LED light panels. Crank up the ISO and do the best you can.

8. The media room usually has water and sodas. Last year they set up a great area with WiFi to work from. Much improved over the previous year.


9. Really good shoes and Advil.

10. Check the weather and pack accordingly. This year was sunny and warm at the range. The prior year was very cold and rainy.

11. Accept you are not going to be able to see everything. It is impossible.

Fred said...

Bring something to deflect the rays of fierce jealousy I'll be directing towards Vegas...