Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gotta Love a Nice Carry Rig...

Reader Adam sends in a picture of his Christmas present:

LC9 undercover

Here's his description:

Attached are a couple pics of my new carry rig. It's a Crossbreed MiniTuck with the horsehide option. I also got a set of J hooks with it. This is the most comfortable holster I've ever worn. The Ruger LC9 just disappears, and I'm 5'7". Highly recommended. This came in a package from my brother along with 400 rounds of practice ammo, so I'm off to the range!
Having had an LC9 to test out, I can attest that it's a great size for both carrying and shooting. It's small and light enough to conceal easily - and this rig looks positively superb for concealing - yet large enough to be able to shoot more than two magazines at a time. I've got a CrossBreed SuperTuck that I originally ordered for my S&W SW99 compact, which also fits my Glock G30 and, as I've found out more recently, the S&W M&P9c. The SuperTuck conceals very well with a double stack compact 9mm; I can only imagine how well it must hide the single stack LC9.

Thanks for sharing Adam!

That is all.

4 comments:

libertyman said...

Rather nice present!

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Very nice!

The Supertuck also conceals nicely with my .45ACP Taurus. It's a "compact" .45, but it's still big enough for a double-stack 10 round magazine. They make good holsters.

Johnnyreb™ said...

I'm still 'testing' a couple of supertucks purchased last spring. One is for a Taurus PT1911 and the other for a Ruger P95.

Can't even tell your wearing them after awhile. So far the only solid conclusion I've come too is that the horsehide is well worth the extra expenditure over the cowhide. Even tho it tends to squeak a bit.

I'm hoping it's just me wearing them wrong (about the 3:30 position), but being seated and driving for hours at a time seems to engage the mag release on both models. And both of them are very different release designs. This doesn't seem to be an issue as far as loosing a mag is concerned since it's held in place with the shirt, but if you needed your pistol in a hurry ... it's a big problem.

I'm going to wear them at the 3 oclock position for awhile to see if this prevents it.

Dr. Feelgood said...

I've been carrying my P01 for a couple of years in a cowhide Supertuck. It really is comfortable. I'll bet the LC9 just disappears.

My experience is similar to Johnnyreb. The holster tends to shift rearward during the day until it catches on the nearest belt loop. It doesn't seem to effect my draw (such as it is) but it does get in the way of my wallet, which is a more frequent pain.

I had hopes that the initial squeak would eventually go away, but if anything it seems worse now. Granted I don't carry every day (because I work in IL), but I've put enough wear on the holster that it should be broken in.

I also have the issue where sitting back in a chair activates the mag release. I'll either need to relieve that spot in the backing or start shopping for something new.

The newest thing I'm noticing is that the backing has softened in the mid-frame area enough so that the molded kydex doesn't quite provide the retention it once did. I'll heat it and see if I can improve it.