Monday, December 19, 2011

Suppose It's Worth Mentioning...

By now everyone's seen the news that Kim Il Jong has shuffled off this mortal coil joined the choir invisible snuffed it.

I'm not a foreign policy wonk. Were I sitting in the Oval Office, the Department of State would have one function, and that would be to remind foreign potentates that we still have the biggest stick around, and it's in their country's best interests not to do anything that would require us to use the stick. We also have a pretty damn big carrot, as well, for countries that don't muck around with things that concern us. Don't start none, there won't be none.

What jumped out at me was that the new heir apparent, Kim Jong Un, is somewhere in his late 20s. He's half my age and supreme potentate of a country. Wow. I'm lucky if I can get all 10 kids on my basketball team to pay attention for a half an hour, and this guy's younger than me and running a country. Hat's off to you, brother, you're gonna need it. Now, granted, he kinda had it handed to him like some Ivy League legacy, but he's still in command of an army and allegedly some nuclear weapons. I'm pretty glad I don't have access to that...

"May you live in interesting times" indeed...

That is all.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kind of funny they call N.Korea a communist country. Its actually like a feudal monarchy with this now being the third in the bloodline to take the reins.

notDilbert said...

OTOH.......

Now there is a 20 something sheltered know-nothing son of the son of a Cult Leader in charge of whole contry full of either staving zombies or very angry peasants......

The historical outcome is ususally either the French revolution, Caligilia, or Genghis Khan.

I'm betting the short rule of Caliglia .... followed rapidly by the next general in line.

Spike said...

Dont forget that he's a 20 year old KID who has F&#$(^@! NUKES!


i wouldnt trust him to pick his own nose at this point.

zeeke42 said...

The immaturity isn't the issue, it's the fact that he's probably batshit insane like his father before him.

Anonymous said...

"Snuffed it"
Thank you, I was in dire need of a laugh. I just hocked my beloved 686, 642, and a Mossy for short money so the kids could have a good Christmas. "Snuffed it" brings back good memories of awfully good times and a reminder that good times are sure to come. And the fact that it that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy is a bonus!

Anonymous said...

I nominate you for Secretary of State.

Ritchie said...

Were I in the Oval Office, the State Department properties would be rented out to paying customers and any remaining essential tasks would be carried out by the United States Marine Corps in their spare time.