Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Media Day at the Range AAR...

Yesterday was Media Day at the Range courtesy of NSSF. Dozens of manufacturers gathered at Boulder Rifle & Pistol range to exhibit their wares to hundreds of media representatives. There were celebrities present as evidenced by yesterday's post; firearms manufacturers by the score, and many new firearms to try out. Here are some random thoughts and observations on the day:
  • At one point, stopped by the Kriss booth. At least twenty people were waiting to try the carbine and SBR. Next to Kriss was Browning & Winchester, which had very little waiting...
  • The new Ruger SR22 is smaller than I expected - it's sized similar to the Sig Mosquito. It's not quite a full sized piece, but it shoots fine. It's just not quite a direct rim fire equivalent to the SR series...
  • Cool happening of the day: standing in line to try out the Slide Fire stock and someone walks over saying "hey, you're JayG! I read your blog" and it's none other than Frank James himself! I think I kept the fanboi squee to a dull roar...
  • Slide Fire: seems like a neat idea; but took some getting used to. There's two things you need to do to get it to work, and both are pretty counter intuitive: You need to keep your finger on the stock unit - not the trigger - and you need to hold the forend loosely and push out gently. Once you master this, the unit works pretty darn well.
  • I fired guns from Springfield, Charter Arms, Ruger, Glock, Colt, Remington, Winchester, Browning, and numerous other manufacturers that my feeble brain is forgetting right now. Hitting the silhouette steel target at 25 yards with the Colt Mustang in rapid fire was exhilarating...
  • Notably absent from the range (at least that I could see) were Smith & Wesson; SIG SAUER*; CZ-USA, and Kel-Tec.
More - much more - to come once I can upload pictures. My favorite moment of the day came from the shotgun section - first off, there's a killer AR-based 12 gauge from Turkey that's rocketing to the top of the "When I move to America" list - it makes Abomination look like a toy... Second, I forget the manufacturer, but there was a serious high-end semi-automatic shotgun that I was breaking clays with left and right that was just sublime. I think I forced myself to forget the name so I don't try to buy one...

It was an excellent day all around, and yes, Iain did lick my head again...

That is all.

ETA: Caleb informs me that SIG SAUER was indeed at Media Day. Mea culpa!

4 comments:

That Guy said...

Interesting that CZ was not there. You would think they would try to get the word out better than that.

Jay G said...

In all fairness, I just saw that Chiappa was at Media Day, and I missed them completely.

Caleb said...

Sig was there, they were down on the end with the pistols.

NotClauswitz said...

Why oh why oh why and when-ever will Winchester realize that putting the horsey-rider and flowing script on an AR will cause it to sell like hotcakes?