Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Movie Review: Meet the Robinsons

Took the kids to see "Meet the Robinsons" this past weekend. It's been pretty heavily advertised on the Disney channel (duh), and both kids expressed interest in seeing it. So off to the cinema we went.

First impression: The partnership with Pixar is obvious, if in no other way than in the way the characters are drawn. This isn't the soft, gentle Disney of "Snow White". This is "The Incredibles" (which, BTW, is my favorite Pixar flick hands down) with a different script.

Notable: My hyperactive 3½ year old daughter stayed put the entire movie. Start to finish, an hour and a half, it held her attention. That speaks volumes.

I liked it. It was cute, escapist fare with a good central theme, a few plot twists (some I saw, some I didn't), and generally a good movie for an afternoon with the family. The artistry is breathtaking, with a strong art-deco feel to it. The characters are wacky, with notable talents such as Adam West as a superhero/pizza delivery man, and Tom Selleck as the, well, I won't give it away.

Bottom line: If you've got young kids, they'll like it. And it won't bore you to tears or editorialize you to death, either...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thx for the review. It's now on the 'to do' list. BTW, if you haven't seen any of the "Planet Earth" episodes on the Discovery channel, get 'em when they come on DVD or in re-runs. The most awesome video I've ever seen & both my kids were mesmerized (they left a big-screen tv with a cartoon movie to climb into my bed and watch an episode on a 19" computer monitor!).


RW