Thursday, May 31, 2007

More Meme-y Goodness

Alternate title: Memes. Easier than thinking...

This one's from Ambulance Driver, and if I have to tell you again to go read him, I'm going to turn this truck around and we'll never get to the campground...

Here's the scoop:
1. Go to the Billboard #1 Hits listings
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the songs of the year
4. Pick 5 songs and write something about how these songs affected you
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends (that's not how I roll...)

SO... Here's mine (and no, I'm not gonna divulge the year, I'm gonna make youse work for it...):

1. "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - Poison. Wow. I remember listening to this on the radio right after finding my girlfriend sitting on the lap of one of my closest friends. In short order, I then heard "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Stones and also "Love Bites" by Def Leppard. Yes, it was a true case of G-d as DJ...

2. "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler. Heh. Just because my wife (girlfriend at the time) had a psychotic roommate in college who LOOOVED this song and played it over and over and over and over and... This girl is the only person to ever try to actually kill me (well, with the exception of pretty much every other driver on the road most days...)

3. "Right Here Waiting" - Richard Marx. Aw, man. Was there ever a better WORSE song to listen to right after getting dumped? Well, I mean, other than pretty much anything written by Journey that is... The only known antidote to "Right Here Waiting" is "Don't Shed a Tear For Me (My Life Won't End)" by Paul Carrack. Side note: "Look Away" - Chicago was a hit a scant three weeks before the start of this year, and is yet another really BAD song to hear after getting dumped...

4. "We Didn't Start The Fire" - Billy Joel. Simply because a buddy and I composed a parody of this song in 1998 after Clinton got impeached entitled: "We Just Impeached a Liar"...

5. "When I See You Smile" - Bad English. Don't really like the song, but it was Bad English that got me tickets to see Whitesnake in concert. A friend of a friend had got a bunch of tickets, and Bad English was the opening act. When they canceled, several people dropped out, and I picked up one of the extra tickets. This was the second time I got to see Steve Vai play in concert. Adrian Vandenberg just looked silly going on stage after Vai. Silly. Vai blew the place apart...

Anyone wants to pick up the ball and run with it, have at it...

9 comments:

Cowboy Blob said...

Blegh...too much disco in my year.

Ambulance Driver said...

Cowboy Blob: Was that the way, uh huh uh huh, you liked it?

Jay: Wind Beneath My Wings??? First, an homage to Charles Nelson Reilly and now this???

Fess up now. You watched Beaches, and you cried. You TiVo the Lifetime Channel.

It's okay, we won't judge you.

We don't care if you're...sensitive. ;)

Jay G said...

That's me, AD - in touch with my feminine side.

:)

Producer said...

First, let me say, what a bunch of terrible songs... we must be the same age too.

She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals; reminds me of a stripper I hired for my friend. She danced great to this song.

I'll Be Loving You (Forever) - New Kids On The Block - reminds me of the same friend that attacked Marky Mark in Hyannis Main St. that same year.

Blame It On the Rain - Milli Vanilli - I saw these assholes. Heck i went with 5 beautiful girls that day. I was upset that they were lipsincing at a live concert. We found out a few months later why.

The rest of the songs I have no memories of. Must of killed that portion of my brain off with Drugs and Alcohol. Hey, that's a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Ummm AD, is it really a good idea to question the masculinity of a man who owns that much firepower? Dost thou have a death wish? Of course if he shoots you then who will catch Sumdood?
Sarah

Jay G said...

Pr0ducer,

Yeah, there wasn't a lot to love about the popular music from the late 1980s. Then again, I was listening mostly to Metallica (pre-sellout), Anthrax, Iron Maiden, etc. so "popular" music never mattered much to me anyhoo...

sarah,

AD can impugn my masculinity all he wants without fear. I'm comfortable with my manhood; secure in the knowledge that I ain't firin' blanks (two kids, and yes, they both look like me); and don't mind being in touch with my feminine side.

Besides, the only way he'd be in trouble would be if he got in front of me on the highway and drove 15 MPH below the speed limit with his turn signal on.

Then it's time to arm the atomic land torpedoes of death... ;)

Anonymous said...

Holy shit! Have you seen the list for 1976? It is no wonder I stayed in the woods listening to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Butterfly and the Moody Blues. By the time I came out of the woods I had gotten in touch with every side I have and a few that I didn’t even know existed and have not seen since.

Man, the radio must have really, really sucked back then. Just another part of my youth that I am glad I missed.

NotClauswitz said...

There wasn't a lot to love about Top-40 music from the mid 70's either, blehgh. Buck is right, and I did the same thing - I turned the AM off and went into hiding, and it was so bad I went overseas to get farther away.

Bruce said...

Yeah, after I'm done throwing up over all the crappy music that was playing on the radio in '84.

You know, it's a shame Phil Collins didn't quite get the airplay he really deserved back then.

Gah.