Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday Gun Pr0n Number 22

Today's gun pic is one of my favorite low-budget plinking pistols, the Smith & Wesson Model 422:


With that cheap BSA red dot sight, it's still damn accurate:


That's 10 yards out, 10 shots which can be covered by a quarter. And I am by no means a marksman of any stripe...

The 422 falls somewhere between the 22A and the 41 in Smith's .22LR semi-auto line, which isn't saying a heck of a lot - it's like saying the Chevy Lumina was between the Chevette and the Corvette in the Chevy lineup... It's got a great weight to it, not too heavy but enough heft to keep it steady; the take-down is simple for cleaning; I literally cannot recommend this gun strongly enough.

And just to sweeten the deal, it shares magazines with the Model 41, one of the nicest shooting .22LR auto-loaders I've ever fired. So, down the road when I get my Model 41, I'll have an additional 4 magazines for it... :)

2 comments:

Clark said...

Hey. I just inherited a 422 and have no idea how to break it down. What is the routine for a filed stripping the 422?
Thanks

Jay G said...

In a nutshell, all you need to do is wedge the take-down tool (orange plastic thing) between the slide and the edge of the frame.

Remove the retaining clip (on top of the barrel, then slide the slide off the frame, being careful that the guide rod doesn't shoot across the room.

Then just lift the slide off the frame and clean away!

It's quite simple; let me know if you need more details (Don't have the manual handy right now, but I could scan the relevant pages if needed).