Friday, October 5, 2007

Friday Gun Pr0n #27

This post is inspired by the LawDog. He's got a post up about a family heirloom, and that got me to thinking about one of my heirlooms:


This is a Colt Official Police .38 Special revolver. Adapted from the Colt New Army revolver in 1927, the Official Police .38 Special became one of the most popular police sidearms ever, with production continuing into the late 1960s.

So what makes this fairly ordinary revolver a family heirloom? Simple. It's the sidearm my grandfather carried for more than four decades as an auxiliary police officer in our town. Since I carry my grandfather's name, as does my son, it has been in the family's possession since before World War II.

And it will stay in our family until I no longer draw breath.

Thanks for looking.

3 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

I don't know if it's coincidence or just good taste in guns...but my Dad handed down the same model to me.

First the Hi Standard .22 and now this one.

It's just...spooky. ;)

Anonymous said...

How's it shoot? Imagine the day when police officers had to stand their ground and carefully place their shots.

Does it have any history?

BobG said...

A nice old classic.