Thursday, December 20, 2007

Life-Saving PSA...

Okay. We've recently had a rash of folks getting killed in traffic. Here's something that could save your life:

Walk on the freakin' sidewalk. No matter how much snow is there. Especially if it's late at night or pre-dawn. And you're wearing a black coat.

Some of the guys driving the snowplows have been out there for 8, 10, 12 hours straight. They're not going to see you, and a 12,000 pound dumptruck will win over a 200 pound human every single time.

Be smart. Live.

Or join Darwin's Waiting Room...

That is all.

5 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I got every right to walk in the middle of the icy street as the next truck!

~We come to bury T-Bolt today,
~Who died defending his right of way.
~His right was true, his case was strong,
~But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Teresa said...

No matter what time of year, when my husband and I walk, we always watch out for cars and trucks and any other motorized vehicle out there.

There are no sidewalks out by us, so that means extra vigilance and being ready to jump off the road onto the side if necessary. As you say - a 2000lb truck wins out over a human any day, but even a the smallest of cars will win out over a human.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, if there is a snow storm in progress, and the roads are obviously in bad shape, perhaps you should skip the evening walk. Especially because it gets dark at 4:30 these days.

Weer'd Beard said...

I followed some asshole for about 30 feet as he walked IN THE MIDDLE of a Cambridge side street. For some strange reason the rumble of my engine and the light of my headlights didn't alert him of my presence.

So I put in the clutch and put the accelerator to the floor.

The sound of my Engine hitting 4,000 RPM right behind him got him out of the way!

breda said...

THANK YOU! I have been griping about this exact thing for 3 years now, ever since we moved into our house. For some reason, everyone in the neighborhood walks in the middle of the street, despite there being beautiful, well maintained sidewalks. Drives me crazy. I like to get up right behind the slow ones wearing their i-pods and blare my horn.