Friday, January 18, 2008

Gunnie Bleg

I need help (in more ways than one - ed.).

I've got a line on a Sig 245, with lots of goodies, at a really good price. I've shot Sigs in the past and been favorably impressed by the fit, finish, and function as well as the ease of use and cleaning.

However... Reading up on the 245, the general impression I am left with is that it is an imperfect attempt by SigArms to turn a full-size duty weapon (the 220) into a CCW piece. The most common complaint is that it is, for lack of a better term, "top-heavy" - the full-sized slide mated to the shortened grip creates a beast that is neither fish nor fowl. Folks review it as being too heavy for CCW, too hard to handle as a plinker.

OTOH, I haven't heard from anyone that owns one or even has shot one. I've been meaning to pick up a sturdy .45 for HD/winter carry, and been thinking of a Commander-sized 1911 (most likely the scandium-framed SW1911). The 245 comes with night sights and a LaserMax internal laser at a price only slightly higher than a used SW1911 at the local shop.

I also note that there are 8-round magazines available for the 245 (now called the 220 compact) that give it a full-sized grip. Might this be an acknowledgement of the shortcomings?

Anyhoo... has anyone out in Gunnie Land had any experience with a 245?

Thanks in advance. That is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think geekwitha45 carries one. ask him

-SayUncle

Weer'd Beard said...

Since its used, buy it, run a few boxes through it, then re-evaluate.

If you end up hating it, just put it up for sale on NES, you should be able to get most of your $$$ back

I'm doing the same thing with a Kahr I have a line on.

Bottom line, the Mass pistol market is VERY competative, take advantage of it.

Rabbit said...

Yes, Geekwitha.45 considered it his 'pet SIG'. Myself, I like them, but I don't own one. I found that a P220 gave me more to hang onto and I don't worry too much about the extra grip length. If I were going for a smallish .45 single stack with sa/da capability I'd look at the S&W Chiefs Special.

No indictment of the P245, mind you.

Regards,
Rabbit.