Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Gun Pr0n #48

Alternate title: And the winner is...

Presenting, for your approval, after weeks and weeks of dithering, vaccillating, and otherwise wringing my hands and making a nuisance of myself, the winner of the "What full-size 9mm should Jay get" contest:



SigSauer model P226M 9mm. Full size. Four high-capacity magazines (or normal - read: non-MA-neutered - for those living in free America). Box. Manual. Like-new condition. All it needs is a pair of wrap-around grips (and more hi-caps...) and we're good to go.

Met up at the range for a test-shoot before I bought it, and all I can say is DAMN. This gun shoots way better than I am capable of, that's for damn sure... Still shooting low (that's me flinching), but the groups were impressive - 3" spread at 25' at rapid fire... Groups of less than an inch under slow-fire.

Me likey...


That is all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice gun! I like the Browning Hi Power myself, but my friend swears by his P226. He wrapped his in Hogue grips because he's got bear paws while I'm built along ordinary lines. I could never get it to shoot right but I blame the grips for this.

We found that the sig does not like the Winchester whtie box reloads, fyi.

Anonymous said...

For a second I read that as 3" groups at 25 yards rapid fire and thought to myself - self, don't piss Jay off.

Jay G said...

adam,

I'd LOVE a Hi-Power, if I could find one at a reasonable price (Last Belgian model I found sold for $800 here in MA).

I've been a fan of the Hogue rubber grips ever since I picked up my S&W 360PD (a.k.a. The Snubbie From Hell™). Put 'em on all my defensive arms (well, not the ones with polymer frames, natch) and my centerfire target guns.

Except the Gold Cup. That would be plain wrong. :)

Haven't tried the WWB 9mm in the Sig yet, but I shot 100 rounds of ~ 20 year old S&B and it ran fine...

robb,

I can barely SEE the target at 25 yards, let alone put up anything that doesn't look like a shotgun pattern.

Rabbit said...

Good shopping! I got to shoot a coworker's P226 in .40S&W a couple of weeks ago. Not my favorite caliber, as I'm a 357sig/P229 fan, but you're going to love owning the SIG.

Welcome to the World of Gentlemen, Gentlemen.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Bruce said...

Jack Bauer would approve.

Mike W. said...

Jay - how many rounds do you have through it? Do you mind posting pics of the frame? I'm trying to get an idea of what's "normal" frame wear for these aluminum-framed Sigs.

Thanks,
Mike

Jay G said...

Mike,

I bought it used from a guy who bought it used, so round count is anyone's guess.

Frame wear appears par-for-the-course on a gun that's gotta be some 15-20 years old (WAG). Can post pictures, just not right now. *g*