Tuesday, March 18, 2008

How Things Work, Part 1

Today's discussion will focus on the rotary. Sometimes called a "roundabout" or a "traffic circle", we're talking about a circular roadway with several roads (typically four, although could be as little as 3 or as many as will fit) intersecting and interchanging therein.

One of the biggest bones of contention is the right-of-way. In some areas, the cars entering the rotary have the right-of way; in other areas, the cars already in the rotary have the right-of-way. This causes no end of consternation, as one can imagine.

Here in New England (at least MA, NH, and ME as far as I can tell), the vehicles in the rotary have the right-of-way. In theory. In practice, determining right-of-way is a time-honored tradition, varying by locale, determined by many factors:
  • Size of the tires on the truck - largest tires has right-of-way
  • Amount of bondo™ - the vehicle with the most bondo goes first
  • If applicable, if the road USED to be a standard intersection, and one of the crossing roads previously had the right of way, then it is assumed (if you're on that road) that you still have the right of way
  • Presence of a police officer - this, obviously, means that all traffic grinds to a complete and utter halt while everyone in a 15 mile radius tries to think back to their driver's ed class to remember who, exactly, has the right-of-way.

So, in an effort to streamline the process by which motorists in the great Northeast navigate a rotary/traffic circle/roundabout, allow me to present a few simple rules:

  1. Know the laws of the state regarding who has the right-of-way.
  2. Hang up your fucking cell phone if you cannot chatter mindlessly and drive.
  3. If you do not have the right-of-way, then wait your fucking turn.
  4. If you have the right-of-way, do not stop in the middle of the rotary and wave people through. This is grounds in some areas for running your stupid ass off the damn road.
  5. If you do not have the right-of-way, but proceed anyways without regard to your fellow motorists, be prepared for a visit from Mr. Digit Hand Puppet and/or his traveling companion, SeƱor Road Rage. If you have children, make sure your windows are closed, as they will learn new and colorful words.

Thank you. I hope this has been an informative lesson.

That is all.

8 comments:

Bob Hawkins said...

France used to have a simple universal rule for determining right-of-way: "No driver ever looks to his left."

In the case of a rotary, that would give drivers in the rotary the right-of-way.

Anonymous said...

The damn things are pretty much replacing all the stoplights one county north of here. I'm glad I don't have much reason to go up there.

I do sit at an intersection every morning where people don't understand that the people across from you turning right have the right-of-way over you turning left. Every now and then one of the right turning people will stop and really fubar things. Idiots.

I'm having trouble seeing how "not looking left" would work. If I'm not looking left, how do I see when there's a spot for me to enter the flow of traffic? Do rotarys in France go clockwise?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it should be "never look right." I must have been thinking of the UK. Either that or I'm an idiot.

Anonymous said...

I've never found a jurisdiction where the folk in the 'roundabout/circle/rotary' DON'T have the right-of-way.

Anonymous said...

Roundabouts suck. I had to deal with them for 3 years while stationed in England. Americans, by and large don't understand them, and they result in a windfall profit for auto body repair places until us 'Colonists' finally figure them out.

Weer'd Beard said...

When I moved here from Maine I came up with this addage: "Those in the rotary or entering the rotary are legally obligated to cut off all other vehicles"

That sums it up for me.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think they drove on the "wrong" side of the road in France, but wasn't sure.

I'm not sure what the claim is on reducing accidents, but my guess is that they're likely to reduce serious accidents and injury, but increase fender benders.

knitalot3 said...

I love the round a bout I drive through every day, twice. It's always good for a laugh and it cut out 20 min at a 4-way stop.

I think we should keep the rules simple though.

1. Yield to traffic from your left, stopping only if necessary.

2. Don't hit any cars.

(repeat)