Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chickens Coming Home To... Nothing

Heh.

Gun initiative hasn’t turned up a single lead
Boston’s much-ballyhooed “safe homes” initiative hasn’t received a single call to search a home for guns in the nearly four weeks since the program was launched.

Program advocates had hoped parents of at-risk youths who suspect their children of stashing guns would be among the callers to the hotline, 1-888-GUNTIPS.

Under the program, aimed at taking the battle against gun violence into teens’ bedrooms, anyone can request a voluntary search of homes where guns are thought to be hidden.

Yeah, how's that massive display of "police work" workin' for ya? People don't want to give the authorities free rein to roam through their domiciles looking for any sort of contraband? Who knew?

Morons.

I hope this cost the city a bundle...

That is all.

(Thanks to alert reader Brad for sending me the link)

3 comments:

RW said...

I love the phrase "gun violence". It allows me to tune out the person that uses it (in this case, the author of the 'news' story) because they place the crux of the active verb on an inanimate object. Guns don't commit violence, people shooting others in a non-defensive manner can be committing a violent act with an armed weapon.

I place it alongside the stories of people being hit by SUVs, as if the vehicle did a Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang & decided to mow a group of humans down.

Find me someone using the term "gun violence" and you've found me someone who thinks the Brady Bill didn't go far enough, guaranteed.

-

BTW, put this down as yet ANOTHER bill from the northeast that will never - ever - see the light of day on the floor of the house of representatives or the desk of the governor in the great state of Georgia. :)

Weer'd Beard said...

Also people don't want to tip off the cops to search Skinny-the-Crack-Dealer's house because if they don't arrest Skinny, he may find out who made the call.

Up in Central Maine a friend of mine found a FEILD of pot growing in the woods while he was hunting.

"What did you do?" I asked, thinking of options like "Call the Cops", or "Steal a plant and make some side cash"

"Nothing," he said, "If whoever owned the field figgured it was me, they'd likely kill me.

I took the same stance on the presance of drugs on fishing boats when I was working for the govenment. I was in charge of looking at fish, not the crew. It wasn't worth the danger to say anything about it.

BobG said...

I'm picturing a bunch of bored people all sitting around playing solitaire on their computers, just waiting for a phone to ring, and wondering how long their job is going to last.