Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday Gun Pr0n #74

Today's gun pic is a veritable smorgasborg 'o' guns. I mentioned a while back about taking a new shooter to the range. I listed the guns that I like to bring out when I take a new person to the range in that post, and thought that since we're getting together this weekend to go shooting, I'd put together a "group shot" of the ballistic participants:



(Clockwise from top left: Smith & Wesson Model 17 .22LR; Smith & Wesson Model 422 .22LR; SigSauer model P226 9mm; Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum/.38 Special; and a Colt 1991A1 .45 ACP in the center).

As I mentioned, we'll start with the .22LR revolver. I've chosen the Model 17 over the Colt Official Police simply because it has target sights (rather than the fixed groove sight on the Colt), plus the extra weight of the 8 3/8" barrel really tames what little recoil there is from the .22LR. I'll even pick up a box of Aguilar .22 primer-only rounds for a start - no appreciable noise and zero recoil.

After the .22 wheelgun, we'll shoot the .22LR semi-auto. The 422 fills this niche by default, as the only other .22 semis I own are a Jennings J22 I saved from a gun-buyback program and a finicky Hi-Standard HD-Military that needs new springs. It's also got a way-cool red dot sight, which at 21 feet will aid greatly in getting all shots in the black.

We'll move up to the Security Six with .38 Special loads for the first taste of centerfire handgunning; then up the ante with .357 Magnum rounds if called for. Then it's on to the Sig 9mm for the centerfire semi-auto.

And a Colt .45 for Bill, as per his request. Because it's one of my very favorites (plus someone else out there likes it, too...), here's a close-up:



Damn, JMB knew what the hell he was doing, eh?

It's gonna be a good day Saturday. Hope to have the new shooter report up sometime Sunday, definitely by Monday. Please, dear G-d, do NOT let me forget my camera. Again.

That is all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, dear G-d, do NOT let me forget my camera. Again.

He helps them as help themselves, right? So here's how to help yourself not do that.

You have a pre-range routine, right? Check guns, gather ammo for range bag, maybe clean guns and check their action and so on? So, make "get camera ready" part of that routine. Something like:

* check camera battery and recharge if necessary

* check camera data card and empty it if necessary

* check camera settings

* put camera into range bag

Remembering will probably be like pulling teeth the first couple of times, but like any routine, it gets to be reflex before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Don't forget the keys too. Guess its a good thing the new club is 9 minutes from ye olde humbe abode.

Weer'd Beard said...

How much you want for the Jennings, Jay?

I kinda want to add a "Ring of Fire" "Saturday Night Special" "Junk Gun" to my collection for the "What's so scary about that?" Factor.

Jay G said...

wolfwalker,

Excellent idea. I've always gone to the public range (no pictures allowed), so a camera wasn't part of the equipment.

Actually, I have an old Kodak digital camera that could stay in the range bag, now that you mention it...

anon,

Ha. Very funny... {grumble}{grumble}

weer'd,

I'd be willing to trade it for the M44, actually. That's about what I paid for it.

Let me know if you're interested. It comes with 2 mags, FWIW...

the pistolero said...

I am glad to see I am not the only one who likes the Hogue rubber grips for the .45. ;-) I have them on all my 1911s but one.

Jay G said...

Yeah, I'm quite the Hogue monogrip fanboy... :)

freddyboomboom said...

Heh.

I brought in my Ruger Police Service Six to loan to my boss so he could take his wife shooting tomorrow...

Does that count?

Weer'd Beard said...

You can't have MY M44, I'm wayy to attached to it, but I can definetly get you a better one with my FFL

I'll drop you an Email

Jay G said...

All five guns now need to be cleaned. I'd do it now, but I've been drinking... ;)

Range report forthcoming. I did not forget my camera...

Anonymous said...

It was so much fun! There is a plethora of pictures. We've got 75 on our camera, and nearly all of them passable.