Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday, Saturday Night...

Man, what a day. It's Mrs. G.'s weekend to work, so I spent the morning with the chillens - first Friendly's for breakfast (a special treat whenever Mrs. G. has to work the weekend; it's become a tradition), then a few quick errands before lunch. Grocery shopping after lunch, then off to the gun club with some new friends (and a new shooter, a report will be forthcoming...).

Got a call from a longtime friend in town, someone I've known over 20 years. He was having a cookout at his place, and invited us over. Now, Dave* and I go back a long time, all the way to high school. His dad went to school with my dad. His daughter has the same 2nd grade teacher as my son - in fact, their desks are together!

So I get back from the gun club, stow the ordnance, and head over to Dave's house on the Harley. Now, a little backstory here. Dave is a master mechanic, literally. He works for a local dealership, and restores old cars on the side. He's got a 1958 Plymouth Belvedere (yes, just like Christine) that is all finished and positively gorgeous; he's also got a 1969 Ford Torino GT that is 98% original. Major car nut...

Well, I show up on the Harley, and all of a sudden, all eyes are on me. I hear about 5 or 6 kids whispering, "Hey, look at the Harley!". Then my son comes running over to greet me - he eats the attention up like candy. His stock just shot up with the ladies. (Sadly, mine didn't. Well, it might have, but not with the one lady that would have made any difference...)

So, needless to say, many frosty malt beveraged were consumed, much bull was shot, and the kids all played together happily. And, to make things even better, Dave just got his LTC, so I've got another bud to go shooting with.

Life. Is. Good.

That is all.

*Names have been changed to protect the inebriated...

No comments: