Sunday, September 21, 2008

AAR: GOAL Heritage Banquet...

Okay. I mentioned it earlier, so here's the AAR.

Took Mrs. G. to the GOAL Heritage Banquet last night. Every year, GOAL has several Heritage Banquets around the state to raise funds and to bring its members together for a night filled with good food, good company, and to keep us informed as to against which windmills they will be tilting anti-gun laws they will be trying to thwart in the hive of scum and villiany that is the MA state house...

There are many raffles in which to participate, covering everything from collectible baseball cards to shotguns to full IDPA packages. There are also numerous auctions in which to participate, with many firearms and firearms-related items up for bid. Last night's guest speaker was Cam Edwards, of NRANews fame. Cam gave a rousing speech filled with history, activism, and tales from his show; he kept the crowd entertained but also made some strong points about how far we've come and how far we still have left to travel in the struggle for 2A freedom.

I also had a first. I got blanked.

This is the third Heritage Banquet I've attended (they started in 2006); and the past two years I've walked out of the Banquet with a shiny new rifle - a new Marlin Model 60 in 2006 and a Marlin Model 39A last year.

But this year, it was not to be... The bidding was fast, furious, and (eventually), too rich for my blood. There was a Heller Commemorative Smith & Wesson Model 442 revolver that I was quite interested in; however I wound up bidding against a friend and chose to leave it to him. There was a Ruger Mark II that I bid on fairly aggressively; however, another gentleman in the crowd was bidding just as aggressively, and while the money was going to a good cause, I wasn't about to pay more than MSRP for a Mark II...

So, empty-handed I left. Oh well. There will be other events, other guns to buy...

*sigh*

That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mental note: "Must join GOAL"...

Jay G said...

Get yer permit first...