Friday, September 12, 2008

Gunnie Instructional Bleg

I need some assistance from the gun community, specifically folks that have made it their mission to introduce new shooters to the community.

I've brought a couple new folks to the range recently, and it has become apparent that I need to pull together a more formal introduction than just random ideas popping into my head. At some point, I'll clear the time and spend the money to become a certified NRA Instructor, most likely to give the Home Firearm Safety Course needed to obtain a permit in MA. But that's not in the immediate future, as time and money are on the thin side right now...

So my request is simple. I need a source or sources of basic instructional information: Proper grip for a handgun, different stances, sight picture, etc. Manual of arms I'm pretty confident of my own knowledge, but a general overview would be good too. Sources of training-type targets would be good as well (I'm thinking specifically of the one that diagnoses common shooting errors, I think you know the one I mean). Something pertaining to general safety guidelines would be excellent as well - I go over "the four rules", of course, but really, there's no such thing as "too safe"...

Basically, I want to put together my own "Intro to Shooting 101 Course" that I can present to a person new to the shooting sports. I'm thinking a good solid half-hour to an hour of general safety, equipment, and operational overview would be good; even better would be if there's some material to pass along beforehand.

I'm pretty new to this, so feel free to pass along any and all information. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, and can only help everyone in the long run as we bring new people into the shooting sports.

Thanks for your help!

That is all.

17 comments:

JD said...

Hey, that sounds like a good idea. . . could/would you please make sure all the info is posted on your blog? I hope to get a few new folks to the range myself and I also can not take official training at this point. . ..

Thanks

Jay G said...

JD,

That was actually my plan/hope - assemble my own version of a training program from the links folks send, then post it as a "syllabus" for folks to read/critique/assess...

We'll see how it turns out. I've got anywhere from 2 to 5 new shooters lined up for the rest of the year, ideally...

West, By God said...

Worked this up a while ago for my competition.

It is just "first trip" stuff... i don't bother with trying to get their grip and stance and such perfect the first time out... day one is just fun.

Another site is Cornered Cat. Lotsa good "basics" covered there.

West, By God said...

Note, I also have a MS word version so you can customize it. The part on the "condition" of the pistol should be relevant to whatever you are shooting (or cover all of the guns you are shooting.)

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Thompson Target has the Troubleshooter; that may be a good paper target source for what you need.

JD said...

West, that is great info, thanks for posting it!

West, By God said...

No prob! Just keep taking newbies to the range! Lots of 'em. And remember, journalists and politicians count for extra points!

Jay G said...

...as participants, not targets...

*g*

Seriously, Greg, thanks for the info. That's great stuff.

Ditto on the targets, T-bolt.

TOTWTYTR said...

Xavier has some thoughts on instruction for new shooters. You should give a look, if you haven't already.

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/09/recipe-for-marksmanship-and-maturation.html

Anonymous said...

Jay,
You carry an NRA membership? Maybe you could take some of the Eddie Eagle material and tweak it for adults.

JD said...

Jay G - Thanks for the clarification on that one. . . if it was as targets I would have said we would get more points with lawyers . . . although Politicians and journalists would be up there . . .

OOOPS sorry, those are the point values for these folks on the MA drivers test. . . my mistake. . . and remember, you loose points if you damage the car's paintjob . . . .

= )

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure that they don't check your instructor credentials when you buy instructor materials here: http://materials.nrahq.org/go/products.aspx?cat=CI_Training

If they do, just tell me what you want and I will get it for you.

Anonymous said...

If you ask nicely, Paul Horvick at shootingsafely.com would probably help you out....

JD said...

What are folks thoughts on pistol vs rifle for a first timer? I tend to go with a rifle since they can hit the target easier. . . but I see Jay goes with pistols. . . .

Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I think the biggest thing for first timers would be the use of reactive targets. Punching paper just isn't as fun as clay birds or shaving cream cans.

Jay G said...

jd,

The reason I go with pistols, quite simply, is that it's easier to bring a larger variety.

Plus, I like to start simple. A revolver is pretty darn simple. No magazines to load. No bolt to operate. Even a pump-action rifle can have issues - frex, my new Remington can short-stroke on loading if you don't bring the slide back in a fluid motion.

With a revolver, you load the cylinder - easy to see loaded vs. unloaded - then fire.

Unfortunately, the closest place on my range for reactive targets (clays are the only accepted item at my club) is the 25 yard berm on the pistol range.

Hitting a clay at 25 yards is challenging for me, let alone someone new. I'd rather they see a hit on paper than a miss at a reactive target...

ArcticElf said...

Jay,
I just put up a rambling response over at my place. I will second Xavier's stuff on the topic.

When you go for your NRA training do it with GOAL. Jon and company are some of the best instructors I know, and take training new instructors very seriously.

AE