Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Talkin' About Rifles...

Chatting with folks last night during the Gun Nuts radio show on the Appleseed program, I had a revelation...

I have exactly one fully-functional semi-automatic centerfire rifle, and it's the Russian VEPR in .308, whose magazines are only slighty harder to find than Alaskan virgins (I kid!). I've got two M1 carbines, but one has a cracked receiver and the other is a Universal of questionable functionality. I've got a lovely SKS. Which only functions as a bolt action. And I've got a semi-auto AK-47 clone, which needs the receiver rebuilt, as the pins holding the trigger and hammer have come loose after approximately 10 rounds (!!!).


And that's it for my semi-auto centerfires (I have three semi-auto .22s, only one of which is magazine-fed and that's mighty finicky...). Now, I'd imagine that getting the AK-47 clone repaired should be an easy task (yes, I know, I can/should/oughta do it myself, but it's been busted for over a year and a half now and I just haven't gotten to it yet...).

Now, the reason for this is three-fold. First, rifles are, as a general rule, more expensive than handguns. I'll start saving my money with the intention of buying a rifle, and then I'll happen across a pistol I just can't do without (like the Colt Lawman I got earlier this year). Second is storage. I've got room in the pistol safes for a couple more pistols. I've got both rifle safes stuffed to the brim, with extras stored in locking gun cases (these are the ones that get taken out on a regular basis). And, lastly, I'm pretty pragmatic about which I'm more likely to need. Odds are pretty good I'll never need a rifle to defend my life, whereas there's somewhat of a chance a pistol might be needed.

That said, I have a hankerin' for a good semi-auto rifle. The obvious choice would be an AR-15 variant, as they're plentiful, have a bunch available in MA-compliant status (basically conforming to the AWB, fuck you Mitt Romney), and have about a bazillion "pre-ban" magazines (ibid re: Mitt). However, I've come across a couple other possibilities that I'm just not sure about...

First up is the Kel-Tec SU-16 series. This is MA-compliant, in that there's no folding/telecoping stock or bayonet lug to eeevil it up. MSRP is significantly lower than most AR-based rifles. And it takes AR-15 magazines. Downside is... it's a Kel-Tec. Now, don't get me wrong - I lurve my lil P3AT, but it's not exactly the world's most, um, refined pistol...

Next up would be an M1 carbine from CMP. The rack grade Inlands are selling for ~ $450 shipped, which is a very good price. Other upside is that I've got a TON of DEFINITELY pre-ban 15- and 30- round magazines. Downside would be placing the CMP order and waiting, coupled with the .30 carbine round itself - it's really a pistol-caliber carbine. Another upside, though, is that it's got no significant recoil and is good for a first centerfire rifle for a newbie to shoot.

After this, it gets fuzzier. I'm not really all that interested in a .308-chambered semi-auto for now - I'm looking for something with minimal to moderate recoil to use mainly for new shooters. I'm also looking for something that uses common (read: cheap) ammo.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

That is all.

10 comments:

zeeke42 said...

I agree that the AR-15 is the obvious choice. Also, they make gun banners wet their pants, which makes angels get their wings.

Ordering from the CMP really isn't that hard, and the wait really isn't very long. It took less than a month to get my rifles, and that was being in the mix with the deluge of carbine orders.

The M1 carbine is a fun little gun, and the light weight and mild recoil make it a great choice for new shooters. That said, as far as general gun nuttery, it's hard to argue against 'the greatest battle implement ever devised', also available from the CMP. CMP Greek Surplus .30-'06 is only about 25 cents a round which is cheap for a centerfire rifle round these days. How can you resist BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMPING!

Anonymous said...

Having handled the Kel-Tec in question, I was flat-out amazed that such a cheap-feeling firearm could actually withstand the forces exploding inside of it at each shot. And the integral bipod is... cute... but probably about as effective as the GI-MIL-SPEC bipods for M-14s (as in "not").

That is about all the input I have, though :). My M1A is disqual'd on your caliber tastes (not that I blame you - that is an expensive beast to feed).

Weer'd Beard said...

Yeah I'm saving for a Springer Squad Scout M1A Carbine.

Ar is a nice choice, but they're spendy. AKs while not as ergonomic are cheap to own, cheap to feed, and only provide moderatly more recoil (I'll probably grab one some day when I have money to burn after I have the M1A, and that Kahr I want...)

And of course I'll be ordering an M44 on Monday for a certain trade, now that's a CHEAP rifle that's CHEAP to feed and offers only slightly less kick than a mule, and only slightly quieter than a rock concert : ]

Anonymous said...

Jay is it kosher to build your own AR reciever in MA ? If so, c'mon up and we can crank one out for you. Should be no problem to swap over your existing hardware from the wallowed out one.

ARs are the way to go. You can put yourself on an installment plan if you grab a stripped lower (100-150) and just build it as you go. Cheap to do and you get exactly what you want. Easy to run in a multitude of calibers from 9mm to 5.7x28mm to 5.56 to 6.8, etc. Does the MA AG list come into play on rifles (other than the "banned" elements such as flash hiders and bayo lugs)

Jay G said...

zeeke42,

The more I think/read about it, the more I'm thinking it might just be time to bite the bullet (ha! Punny!) and get an AR-15 variant.

M1 carbine, before I spend any money on one, I think I need to take a look at the Universal. I think all it needs is a stock. If it's one of the ones that takes USGI magazines, I may buy a stock for it and see if I can get it running.

'Course, I may also buy another one from the CMP at some point, too...

The Garand is on the list of "Guns to get eventually", don't you worry. But I'm thinking more along the lines of "what can I use to introduce someone to shooting rifles", and the M1 Garand, fantastic though it is, is not an intro rifle...

linoge,

Thanks for the review. That's kinda the impression I had about it. I'm guessing that the difference in pressure between .380ACP and .223 is pretty significant, and the .380 is kept a good distance away from my face...

An M1A variant is also on the list of "guns I want to get before I die", but see above comments re: Garand...

weer'd,

The M44 is one of the LAST guns I'd want to teach someone to shoot rifles with:

1. It requires a 2X4 to load all 5 rounds off a stripper clip;
2. The muzzle flash will cook hotdogs (right on the extended bayonet!); and
3. All the kick of a mule in a smaller package...

However, it *is* a mighty fun gun... :)

wally,

Yes, we can "build our own" in MA - that's what I did with the AK clone. I'm not good at waiting, though - I'd rather get a complete rifle right now.

You're correct in that rifles have to comply with the AWB, but otherwise are fine. It can't have a collapsible stock (which is fine, I can live with a regular AR stock for now and get the skeletonized one later); a bayonet lug; or a flash suppressor, although it can have a muzzle brake.

Magazines with a capacity over 10 rounds have to have been made prior to September 1994, so I'd either need to find some old milsurp mags or only 10 rounders...

Shoot me an e-mail if you've got leads. Would be greatly appreciated...

Anonymous said...

"
Shoot me an e-mail if you've got leads. Would be greatly appreciated...
"
Done - if it's not in your inbox check your spam folder for subj:'Preban AR Mags'

Anonymous said...

AR may be the way to go: I built a parts kit+stripped rcvr well 2 of them, and they both work! If you just buy an assembled lower, and complete upper, and push in the 2 pins yourself, that alone saves you the 12% tax on a complete gun. Plus, it makes Sarah Brady get all Hillary (sniffly).

Sevesteen said...

If the M1 carbine is in the running, why not a different pistol-caliber carbine?

tjbbpgob said...

I also have a Universal and could never get it to recycle properly until I started using factory loads, not reloads. I don't know what it was about the reloads unless the guy just wasn't proficient enough for the tapered carbine round. Sometimes the pin would not fire until the 2nd or third time.That is all fixed now.

Anonymous said...

Jay - fix the carbine for your teaching rifles, and get an M1 for serious zombie work.

There ARE no other choices.