Monday, September 8, 2008

Tootin' My Own Horn...

Dwight, yesterday's New Shooter, just sent me an e-mail thanking me for yesterday's festivities. I have to excerpt his e-mail:

Jay - Thank you for your help and the Sunday afternoon experience.

Your concern with safety was admirable and confidence inspiring.

Your instructions on the art and science were excellent. You also answered questions well.

Your selection of firearms was excellent.

Elizabeth was not quite accurate. I had never fired a handgun before. I have used BB guns as a kid and one time in the late seventies I got the chance to shoot at clay pigeons from a river boat in Nashville and of course there are the booths at fairs etc. This was also the first time that I had been to a target range of any type.

I had a very good time. I just don't get really fired up-gushy very often.

...

Thank you again for an enjoyable and educational experience.

No, Dwight, thank you. Thank you for letting me share my favorite pasttime with you. Thank you for taking the first step towards gun ownership. Thank you for trusting me - I'm certain that it's got to be just a little intimidating to meet up with someone you met online who you know to be armed.

I hope I conveyed just how much plain fun you can have while shooting - I think that nailing the clays on the 25 yard berm was a good idea (mental note: Pick up a couple of boxes of clays at Wallyworld next trip...). For me, there's not much better way to shed tension than to head to the range and relax on the shooting line. I sincerely hope you felt the same way.

And finally, thank you for the kind words. I'm always concerned that I come across as too technical, or too wonky, or even too overbearing when I'm talking to a new shooter. It's great to have the feedback!

That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. And to think, I knew you way back when you were small an unappreciated.

:)