Thursday, November 20, 2008

Holster Bleg...

There's been a fair amount of talk about holsters 'round the gun blogosphere these days, and it got me to thinking (always a frightening prospect)...

The $20 "Elite" nylon holster (Thought question: Why do the cheapo nylon holsters have model names like "El Supremo Tacticool Delta Seal Force Five"?) just isn't cutting it for toting the G30 around. I'd like something with a little more support, that balances the heft of the .45 a little better as opposed to hanging from a single utilitarian steel clip as it does now. I've got a nice Bianchi Pistol Pocket for my S&W 360PD that works really well, and would like to get something along the same lines:
  • Leather
  • Top strap
  • Double belt loops

I'm not interested in Kydex - the Crossbreed that I bought for the SW99 compact works fine for that. I'm looking for a good, sturdy IWB leather holster for a double-stack Glock .45 ACP, and there's only about 700 million different holsters out there in that category. Since I already have the obligatory "box full of holsters that [I] have tried and discarded" (actually, it's several drawers worth by now - you'd think after the third cheap nylon shoulder holster I'd learn, but nooooo...), I'd prefer to get some feedback before I commit any more ducats to leather...

Thanks in advance!

That is all.

9 comments:

firefighter4884 said...

Jay,

I have a Brommeland Max-Con V for my XD-45 and love it. Also have one for my Glock 19.

Given a choice, I prefer an OWB holster, but for IWB, I do like Gary's stuff.

You should be able to get his holsters direct from Coal Creek Armory direct.

Otherwise, may I suggest asking a similar question over on www.defensivecarry.com . The forum has a good group of people, and several of the custom makers are active on the site.

--Jim

Anonymous said...

I love my AKJ Concealco IWB. I've been carrying a commander sized 1911 in it every day for the last couple years. Still solid as a rock and as comfy as it can be considering the large pistol shoved in my wasteband.

http://www.concealco.com/

Old NFO said...

I'll got with Jim, Brommeland is excellent! Make sure you get one that has the tang on the inside to protect the slide from sweating (and your ribs).

Anonymous said...

I have been very happy with my IWB from HBE Leatherworks (http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/). I wish I had gone with a two-clip variant as opposed to a one, but that was my fault, not his. Good leather, solid grasp on my belt and the firearm, and quick turnaround.

Anonymous said...

You need to go to a police equipment store and try different holsters. Galco makes good ones. Hume is also good. Just get a good name brand instead of the El Cheapos.

Anonymous said...

Try Milt Sparks. I have the Versa Max II, it's not cheap and you will have to wait for a little while, but after 6 years of constant use, it still looks virtually new and is very comfortable. I had a Bianchi Pistol Pocket and it was not nearly as comfortable as the Versa Max II. And if by top strap you are refering to a thumb break, thumb break and Glock-type triggers DO NOT mix. Lots of AD's caused by the strap getting in the trigger guard and the gun going bang when re-holstering.

red said...

This is what I carry our 7 shot .357 in and I love it:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2878.php

Good luck! I'm on the same quest, need new leather for my 1911.

TOTWTYTR said...

IWB? Mika's Holsters.

Inexpensive, secure, no "printing", the holster stays open when the weapon is out. Bob Mika is absolutely top notch to deal with.

SpeakerTweaker said...

+1 to Michael in CT's comment. Unless you're just married to the thumb-break, I'd try something without one.

Poe-lease ossifers who carry openly every day (including in the presence of folks who require, eh, restraint) make good use of thumb-break holsters. But since you will be carrying concealed one-thousand percent of the time, you might appreciate the one less step betwixt you and the Bad Guy.

Additionally, many makers offer a "slide guard" of some sort, which, like a thumb-break, keeps the slide off your body.

Check out High Noon Holsters. I use an OWB rig of theirs daily. It's wonderful. All of their stuff is custom, but many IWB holsters are now in stock (no waiting!

www.highnoonholsters.com



tweaker