Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Open Invitation

Okay. Watching the local news this morning while working out, they ran a story on the soccer mom in PA who had her CCW permit revoked for open-carrying her handgun at her child's soccer game. Even though this story is over two months old, they apparently felt the need to revisit it now.

Given that these are Boston media-types (read: liberals), the PSH was strong.

So here's my invitation: To any Boston-area media personality who would like to actually learn something about firearms rather than rely on Hollywood's interpretation, I'm offering to meet with you, one-on-one, to come to the range, have a safety briefing, and shoot one of these dangerous weapons. More if you would like.

This is an honest, sincere offer; I bring no agenda with me other than a desire to educate. I think a lot of the anti-gun sentiment out there right now comes from ignorance - people get their information about guns from Hollywood, where a 9mm round can knock a bad guy through a wall, a shotgun can remove limbs, and a snubnosed revolver can hit quarter-sized targets at 200 yards. With enough planning, I can even bring an "assault weapon" that can be compared to a benign "hunting rifle" to dispel some of that BS as well.

Contact information is available; I'll not hold my breath waiting for takers, though...

That is all.

8 comments:

DJK said...

Way to put it out there... I'll be watching for responses.

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Spectacular idea. Here's a suggestion to make your open offer even more palatable. The next time such an article appears in The Boston Globe and online comments are enabled, post your offer. I do also suggest one caveat. Do this only after you get your instructor's ticket. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think that members of the media would be more willing to visit a state-approved instructor than just any gun-nut with a gun club membership. All I'm saying is consider your audience.

Anonymous said...

Bill & I were talking about seeing if we could make a media day at our club come spring and good weather. Have lots of well behaved volunteers there,, cater it, etc. Make a day of it with invitations out to every even semi-local news source. Dispel myths, get people who are timid/scared to touch guns of various types, have a try at shooting different types and different types of competitions/discipline, etc.

It'd be a lot of work, but I'm hoping a lot of good would come of it.

Jay G said...

I'd be willing to help out with such an event, Elizabeth.

I'll even leave the Harley home that day... *g*

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, if an instructor from Project Appleseed can be of use in your Media Day, please let me know - Jay can get hold of me as he has my contact info.

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys :) It's still in the talking stage, not even to pre-planning. But I suspect we will be aiming for late April, early May or later. No sense in making them freeze their tails off and having to fight weather for a good time.

Anonymous said...

Jay, have you tried emailing the reporter or station directly with your proposal? My guess is that very few local media types would know where to look to get info about gun ownership in Mass. Just a thought. (btw - love the snark about the Fla kid!)

Anonymous said...

What a Coincidence! This AM one or our local TalkJocks on KFAB voiced his desire to buy a handgun. I fired off an e-mail volunteering to take him shooting any or all of mine..... still waiting for a response......

Joining the effort to eradicate ignorance, one potential ignoramus at a time.......