Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 Northeast Blogger Gathering AAR

Okay... I'm writing this Sunday night, while the events of last night are still (somewhat) fresh in my mind. Some details have already been pushed out by the craziness of today with the fam, but that's a hazard that comes with being a dad... There's only a limited number of brain cells available at any given moment...

Let's see...

Company? Fantastic. The following people made the arduous trek to Martha's:

JD
doubletrouble
scotaku
Bruce
weer'd beard
Elizabeth
Bill
TOTWTYTR
wolfwalker
sci-fi & b
brad_in_ma & Mrs. brad_in_ma

Here's a relatively complete group shot:


And just to prove that I was, in fact, present:


(Some folks have justifiably expressed uneasiness at having their likenesses displayed over the internets and others I didn't think to ask, so I have erred on the side of caution and "hidden" anyone that I wasn't certain of posting their image).

And, lastly, we left a "missing man" foundation for those that couldn't be with us:


Venue? Excellent - the food was great, the beer was (I assume, I didn't partake) fine, and the wait staff was... well... delectable...

And it was truly our kind of place:




Impressions...

Well, let's see. Write down the top ten things you think might crop up at a meeting of bloggers, people that hang out on the internet on Friday night as opposed to sports bars, I guarantee we covered them in depth:

Picard vs. Kirk
PC vs. Mac vs. Linux
.45 vs. 9mm
Not to mention quotes from The Blues Brothers, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park.

The evening started with duelling cellphone internet platforms, with the iPhone barely edging out the Crackberry for ease of manipulation (I had forgotten to write down my list of planned attendees, and had asked if someone could pull up my last update with the list from the blog). We started arriving promptly at 5 (I was the third arrival, with two of the three guys that came from southeastern MA beating me there!) and folks popped in and out throughout the evening.

There were lively debates over zionism, nanny-statism, whether or not MA is truly "liberal" or merely authoritarian/puritan with a few liberal leanings, some gratuitous gun talk, much gnashing of teeth over the price of ammo (and some theorizing that prices may be coming back to earth in the coming months, which I will believe only after I see it!).

All in all, I think a good time was had by all. This will become a more frequent event, I think - I'd even go so far as to offer to coordinate the next one, too. How does mid-spring, say mid-April sound? We could celebrate my birthday... ;)

That is all.

18 comments:

MedicMatthew said...

Gah!

I am so bummed that I messed up my schedule.

I *WILL* be at the next NE Blogger gathering!

Anonymous said...

You should probably mention the evening's best example of conversational dissonance: while Table A was discussing the relative merits of various sports, Table B was discussing Israeli history and the Israeli assault on the terrorist mini-state of Gaza. Rather an interesting effect for those of us who could hear both conversations.

JD said...

You did it again Jay, was a great evening although my head is still spinning from trying to follow all the different topics covered. . .

Old NFO said...

LOL- Sounds like a fun time was had by all, regardless of which table one was at!

TOTWTYTR said...

And we had a great time on SATURDAY as well! :)

Seriously, it was a good time, with a lot of laughs and not too many serious discussions. With this group it's sometimes hard to tell what a serious conversation is.

Food was good, the micro beer was good, the company was terrific, and the waitresses were, uh, hot.

angus lincoln said...

My disappointment at missing this one, will be negated by making the next one. Thanks for taking the time Jay!

zeeke42 said...

I'm sorry I missed it, but family was more important. I look forward to the next one.

Borepatch said...

I'm crushed that I missed it, but thanks for saving a seat for us (between Weer'd and Bruce, too!).

Anonymous said...

You left out all of Bruce's talk of mullets.

Paul, Dammit! said...

Sorry I wasn't there! I hope I'm on dry land in April to show up for the next one!

Lissa said...

ACK! :-( Too bad I really thought the gathering was this coming Saturday. I shall therefore dedicate my recap of Family Dinner 2008 (Mike's family. My family. A twelve pound roast.) to Jay G

JD said...

Lissa I think to atone for this one you will have to clean the JayG gun collection after the next blog shoot. . .

= )

Anonymous said...

What folks don't realize is that those are my real eyes (3rd pic: black circles, red shirt).

Jay G said...

MedicMatthew,

Not to rub it in or anything, but you missed a good time... ;)

wolfwalker,

Good point! We were alternating between penetrating analysis of the world's problems on one hand and booger jokes on the other... *g*

JD,

Thanks, man, I'm glad you had a good time!

Old NFO,

Speaking only for myself, I had a great time. Exemplary company, tasty food, and the sights were, well... ;)

TOTWTYTR,

Always a pleasure getting together, I've got to say...

The Friday comment was meant more as a general indictment of our nerdy group as a whole (and I'm the head nerd, so...) ;)

angus,

As I mentioned, this will become a more frequent event if people are interested. I'm thinking about Murphy's Taproom next time, maybe mid-April... Will put up an exploratory post in Feb I think...

zeeke42,

Of course. Family *always* comes first.

There will be more get togethers, bank on that!

Ted,

It actually just kinda happened that way (apparently Bruce was rather funky...), and when I looked at the gap in seating, it struck me as a "missing man" formation...

LWJ,

If I mentioned the mullet talk, it might get folks to start searching the MArooned archives for my prom picture...

(Nice meeting you BTW!)

Paul,

I have a feeling you and weer'd beard would have gotten along famously.

Until April!

Lissa,

That means you need to read up on your StuckinMassachusetts updates! You were missed, hope you can make the next one!

sci-fi,

So glad you and B could make it! I was aiming for a lemur-like appearance not unlike King Julian... ;)

Anonymous said...

JayG: we had a blast! Thanks for hosting! I was mentioning to Bill on the way home that it'd be fun to have a regular get-together for foods, brews, & talk, maybe bi-monthly or something. Or even monthly, alternating range-outings with restaurant outings. :)

Anonymous said...

SCI-FI: "Karaoke? What the hell would they sing?"

(pause for effect)

JayG: "I LIKE TO MOVE IT-MOVE-IT..."

Unknown said...

Damn! I had no idea it was going on. Like I told TOTWTYTR, it sounds like a good time that I missed.

I'll be at the next one - count on it :)

Jay G said...

Elizabeth,

I know I'd be up for more meetings. We could even move the location around - maybe south of Boston for one, then west of Boston, southern ME, mid-central NH...

Hmmm... Lots of promise...

sci-fi,

Heh. I don't know if I could do "Move It Move It" properly, not after Werebear's rendition... ;)

Walt,

You had no idea it was going on? Well, sounds like you need to read more MArooned! :)

More than welcome to have you at the next one. Like I said, I think we'll plan something for April-ish...