Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Fun Thread: Mid-Life Crisis Cars!

And now for something completely different... This week's list consists of cars most likely to find their way into the garage of a 40- to 60- something male homo sapiens. These are the "mid-life crisis" cars; the ones purchased when a man feels youth slipping through his fingers like so much of his hair... The last-ditch effort to be cool or hip or current... You know the type - bad comb-over, spare tire (that most often could fit a semi), etc...




So here are the cars that Herb Tarlek might covet

1. Chevrolet Corvette convertible - gotta be red, ideally with white top. The discerning MLC sufferer will choose a classic 'Vette, perhaps an early '70s Stingray. Other common variants are early 1990s ZR-1s or early (1995-96) C5s.

2. Ford Mustang GT convertible - for the budget-conscious MLC, a new GT will set you back less than $30K new, and even less for a 2-3 year old used model. Can also be subsituted for a boutique 'Stang like the Bullitt commemorative, Cobra, or a new Shelby variant.

3. Porsche 911/Boxster. The more upscale MLC car carries a Bavarian badge; this is most often a changeover from a similar vintage upscale SUV like a Land Rover or Mercedes M series. The 911 is more traditional, but the Boxster retains more of the Porsche heritage with the air-cooled engine amidships.

4. Subaru WRX. This might appeal to the later-in-life dads who want some thing sporty and yet still suitable for a (small) family. It's sporty, has Fast 'n' Furious-type cred, and can seat four in a pinch with room for groceries. This is one of the more responsible MLC choices.

5. Dodge Challenger. For a long time, the Viper was the only Chrysler offering that would make this sort of list, but now the Challenger takes its place. With the 6.1L Hemi engine, this car is stupidly fast, has major league retro appeal, and can be obtained for under $100K...

6. Mercedes CLK convertible. Another high-end MLC car; Mercedes convertibles have been a favorite of the silver-hair set since the venerable 280 became the car of choice for Matt Houston (I'm showing my age with that reference!). Speed, comfort, and German engineering all in one package that screams "sugar daddy" - what's not to love?

7. Jeep Wrangler. (No offense Ted). Another practical vehicle for someone looking for a youth-oriented vehicle, the Jeep has the added benefit of being something that's equally at home in the winter as well as the summer. Pop the top, take the doors off, and you're all set to cruise the beach; put on the hard top and hard doors and you've got a legendary 4WD machine for the snowy months. If you really want attention, a lift kit and 33" tires will get you noticed - just don't take any sharp corners...

8. Volkswagen GTI. With the first GTI introduced to the American market in 1983, those 20-somethings who ponied up the extra $$$ for the GTI package in 1983 are now in their mid- to upper 40s and looking at new GTIs as a way to relive their youth. And I'm not just saying this because I had an '86 GTI and I'm jealous of Robb's new wheels...

9. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Another "boy racer" inspired by the FnF craze, this is a 290+ HP turbocharged grocery-getter that harkens back to the days of the Omni GLH. The Dodge turbos and the Buick Grand National helped bring turbo- and super-charged engines to the forefront of automotive performance once the displacement wars ended in the mid 1970s, and the technology has gotten a lot more advanced and impressive as we approach the 2010s...

10. 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird. The "retro" or "boutique" T-bird which ranks right up there with the Edsel as one of Ford's blunders; it's still a sharp, stylish car that Ford all but gave away as models languished on the sales lots. Initial pricing was upwards of $50K, at which price buyers laughed and bought Mustangs aplenty. As the sales dropped from anemic to outright sickly, Ford slashed prices in half, resulting in a fairly good bargain. When they canceled it after only three years, it ensured that this model would be nothing if not a unique choice.


So... Did I miss the car you're waiting for? What vehicular conveyance are you planning on purchasing once you no longer have to schlep around car seats/hockey equipment/camping gear/etc.? Have you noticed a plethora of late-model lotharios cruising around in a car not mentioned? Inquiring minds want to know...


That is all.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

1969 Chevy Camaro SS - the "Halloween Special" paint job.

Leave the new crap for those stupid enough to buy plastic...

Anonymous said...

If you go with the Subaru, you need to get the STI model. The plain WRX can be taken by the GTI. The STI model has around 300 hp and I can attest from riding and driving a buddy's STI, it rucking focks! I would have gone with the STI, but at the time of $4 gas, *plus* the need for premium, *plus* the fact that it only got about 15mpg (similar to my Wrangler), I just didn't want to do it.

The GTI is the perfect mixture of zip and fuel efficiency. It is definitely a fun car to drive and I'm still getting an average of 29mpg. It's not going to win against a Porche or Mustang on a straightaway, but if you've got S turns to make, whoooboy!

karrde said...

Does a Harley belong on that list somewhere?

BobG said...

This is a Corvette; never mind those Stingrays.

My wife and I have owned and been driving Wranglers since 1985; when I was younger I used to drive my dad's old 1942 Willys up in the hills.

Jay G said...

Ross,

I was trying to stay away from "vintage" cars - those are typically less MLC than labors of love/first car nostalgia IMHO.

Robb,

Fair enough, I just know the WRX from the Dodge Super Bee - like ridiculous spoiler...

karrde,

Y'know, I thought about that, as it's a pretty fair assessment of a lot of cases. A lot of times, though, it's not so much a MLC as it is a "the kids have grown up and moved on, now I can finally do something dangerous"...

bobg,

Nice - that's a '58, isn't it?

The Jeep got added mainly because that's what Dad G. got. I was torn between that and a Nissan 350Z...

BobG said...

And this is a real T-Bird.

Unknown said...

Where's my Volkswagon Beetle convertible on that list?

And my goodness, where is the #1 mid-life crisis vehicle: Harley Davidson

(sure it's only got two wheels, but if you factor all the mid-life crisis purchases of Harleys and divide them by two they tire for tire exceed all others)

*lol*

Anonymous said...

Mid life crisis? Does that mean I will live to 116? I laughed when people asked me if I were going through a midlife crisis when I bought my Miata. No crisis here, just having fun, thanks.

Borepatch said...

Man, did I get late to this party!

What's funny is that my Jeep isn't my MLC car - it's just fun, practical (esp on days like today), and inexpensive. I'm gonna end up like BobG (nothing wrong with that!), driving nothing but these until I'm too old to drive.

What's sad and pathetic is that for my actual MLC car I passed on the Boxter (and Jag XK8, which should be on the list) because I needed a backseat to take the kids. The Mrs. still chuckles about that.

I'm the most boring mid-life guy on the planet ...

And I really liked that T-bird. Not for $50k, but I might have gone $30k, had I not already had a MLCmobile.

Old NFO said...

Harley... Harley... Harley... :-) Or one of the late model Pontiac GTOs (400+hp/six-speed/2 Dr) And I love driving it :-)

Anonymous said...

So it is a bad thing that I, at 26, desperately want a Bullitt?

Whoops.

Cowboy Blob said...

Funny you should mention MLC cars... I have a '98 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT, but it wasn't MY MLC that caused me to buy it. I'd had a perfectly serviceable '87 Stang GT until my best friend's wife decided to leave him for a drummer and couldn't keep up the payments on her anniversary present. I considered it a rescue.

TOTWTYTR said...

My kids thought that my Toyota Tundra was my MLC car. I don't know why, but they did.

BobB, THIS is a Corvette. :)

Larry said...

I'm holding out for the Challenger convertible. It's supposed to be out in 2010, bailout permitting I suppose.