Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Some Things to Think About...

I took yesterday off to get some much-needed Xmas shopping done (don't tell The Boy and BabyGirl G, but they are, in fact, getting a Wii for Xmas. What can I say? I'm a softie...). While out and about, I made a few observations about shopping while carrying.

  • I need to practice drawing in winter garb - two cover garments plus a long winter coat make accessing my carry piece significantly more difficult than in warmer weather.

  • I wonder how many people would equate "carrying every single bag in one hand even though it's approximately 750 pounds" with "carrying a concealed firearm and keeping his dominant hand free"?

  • In conjunction with the previous point, is it that obvious when I've got one gloved hand and one non-gloved hand? Am I the only person to think about these things?

  • A double-stack .45 ACP magazine leaves little room for car keys. Plan accordingly. Don't wind up putting said magazine on the counter of Missy's Hallmark unless you want some really interesting looks.

  • I really, really, really need to get off my lazy ass and order up a decent holster for the G30. Carrying around that brick all day is difficult enough; doing it in a cheapo $20 nylon holster is even worse. Ditto the need for a better belt...



That is all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What gets me sometimes is when I exit a truck or high vehicle, my coat rides up and "flashes" the bottom of the holster. I have to really pay attention not to just jump out without readjusting my jacket.

Bob S. said...

Jay,

Carrying packages in one hand can also be a sign of military experience. I don't think people pay that much attention to it.

It took me years to get out of the habit of leaving my right hand free, now that I'm carrying again it is easy to relearn the habit of keeping that hand free.

I'm glad Texas has a milder climate, don't have to deal with gloves that often. It is also not unusual to see people with open coats, even during the coldest spells.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

My progeny is getting a Wii as well. Great minds.

Check you email . . . Ill. Governor Blagoyevich & his Chief of Staff just get nicked by the feds.

blogger said...

The Wii is simply awesome. I brought it in to last year's office holiday party, and there was a line (a long line) of engineers waiting for their turn.

Heck with the graphics, the game play is the thing.

You know that there are a couple of gun-shaped snap-in holders for the Wimote, don't you? What's interesting is that Call of Duty was too hard for the kids using this, and they went back to regular controller.

I wonder if there's a CCW game, where you could practice drawing from your coat pocket? ;-)

Sevesteen said...

I can drop packages pretty quickly...and going gloveless often isn't an option here. I have practiced a bit with gloves, discovered that my XD works fine but my glove gets caught in my J frame and keeps the trigger from resetting.

Jay G said...

Nate,

I am absolutely FANATICAL about that kind of thing - I'll only carry IWB for that very reason.

What gets me is when I carry my j-frame at 4 o'clock, if it's not sitting just right the handle will poke way out when I bend over.

bob,

Hadn't thought about that (military) - I'm guessing because of saluting?

brad,

I saw that. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, indeed...

Ted,

Yes, I know there are several gun-themed controllers and such. The Boy will be getting one (which he will share with BabyGirl G).

He's also getting an IR six-gun...

sevesteen,

It gets pretty freakin' cold up here, too. I just wear a glove on one hand and keep my right hand in a pocket.

What I need to get is another pair of those fingerless gloves with the mitten-cover, like skiers have. The one wool pair I have are in my range bag from late October through March...

Weer'd Beard said...

I'm with Sevesteen on this one. Hands open, items fall. With a little luck my assailent will be looking at the dropped goods, and not my coat opening up and JM Browning Smiling Down from Heaven.

Strings said...

And this is THE reason for multiple gun carry. Throw the J in your handwarmer pocket, and don't worry about it! ;)

MeatAxe said...

Thebeltman.net. I highly recommend this guy and his products. This belt will, I am confident last me the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

Here in the upper midwest, where if you wear NO gloves you're apt to lose a finger to frostbite, I generally wear a "full" warm glove on my left hand and a mechanics glove on the right. tacky palm and fingers make it easy to grab the cell, keys, gun, etc out of pockets, and gives some wind protection. Two black gloves are two black gloves, so unless I'm digging the truck out of a ditch its the best of both worlds.