Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #96

Today's gun pr0n isn't a gun from the G. armory. It is, however, a gun I had a hand in the acquisition thereof... A while back, Mike wrote to me asking my advice on a carry gun - I posted about it here.

Well, lo and behold, Mike actually took my advice. He went out and bought one of the guns I suggested:


Smith & Wesson model M&P 340

Mike even sent me a range report, which is so good I have to post it in its entirety:

Well I ran 100 rounds of 38 special through it and it was a Blast to shoot. Recoil is manageable and my hand feels just fine. I also ran 20 round of 357 goodness and light through it and I cleared the range with it. You talk about pyrotechnics. Almost 2 foot of flame out of the end of that with a standard FMJ Remington load and the noise stopped everyone in their tracks at the range. The blast from the gun had everyones targets doing the hula even at 10 yards! The folks next to me came over and wanted to know what in the hell I was shooting because the blast had knocked their target off the mount..

I let the two guys I was with shoot it with both the 38 special and 357 loads and the 357 loads had us laughing so hard we had to stop shooting and regain our composure. Its unreal in 357. Incredible Shock and Awe.

That gun with a 357 load is just insane and I absolutely love it.

The laser sight is going to take sometime to get used to. Right on the money right out of the gate but you have to teach yourself to ignore the sights and just use the laser dot. My brain was trying to use sights with my right eye and the laser with the left eye and that made my head hurt and didn't make nice groups. With the laser you can use both eyes again counter intuitive to everything we have been taught about sighting weapons. It will take some more trips to the range to get my brain wrapped around it. :>

I can't thank you enough for all of your help with this (The range folks aren't so happy but they will get over it as soon as the smoke clears, their ears stop ringing all of the knocked down targets are retrieved and everyone comes back).

I can't tell you how pleased I am that you like the 340, Mike... I love my 360 (in fact, I've called it "The gun I couldn't do without"); I'm glad you like yours as much!

That is all.

4 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

100 rounds of .38 spp, and 20 of .357 mag in a Scandium Gun!!??

Dude must have wrists like Paul Bunyan!

Still a great choice for everyday carry. I just tucked my S&W 642 into my pocket for the day.

Jay G said...

Well, it sounds like he had a bit of help shooting those 100 rounds...

I've shot 50+15 (.38/.357) out of the 360 on a good range day, so it's not out of the question.

PAINFUL, but not out of the question...

:)

Hunter said...

About those .357 rounds in a range setting...
When competing in IPSC matches, I would sometimes shoot both 1911 and revolver (Ruger Security Six). When I walked up to the line with the revolver gear on, our match director and SO would loudly announce that everyone should put additional ear plugs in under their muffs.
You see, I shot IPSC for the training, not the gaming, and therefore used full house .357. When I extended that gun into a barrel on some stages, heck, my ears are still gonging, fifteen years later.
And I've got a scar in my thigh from the backsplash on a steel target that was set a bit too close to the box.
Hunter
Ketchikan, Alaska

Les Jones said...

I'm digging the Crimson Trace 405s. I've got the larger 305, which feels good, but which is a bit too long. The 105 is too small and uncushy. The 305 looks like Goldilocks - just right.

I totally love my S&W J frame Airweight 642. Out of all my guns that's the one I want a second copy of. It's just incredibly handy. If you've got a pocket you've got a way to carry a J frame.