Sunday, January 18, 2009

Range Trip...

Kicking around last night, it dawned on me that I hadn't been shooting since I brought my new AR to the range. With the copious amounts of snow we've been getting, plus arranging a fabulous (and expensive!) Disney vacation, the range has been kinda pushed to the back burner for now.

Until last night.

Y'see, my gun club has a four-station, 50' indoor range. It's what attracted me to this club as opposed to the less-restrictive and closer club down the street (although, to be fair, my club really isn't too bad). Now, it's not quite perfect - it's a simple steel plate angled 45ยบ to the ground that drops bullets into a sand pit, so we can't shoot jacketed or magnum ammo (jackets split and fly back, magnums dent the steel). Fortunately, the G. armory is very well represented in .38 Special and .22 Long Rifle calibers, so I packed up my trusty S&W Models 17 and 19 and headed to the range. At 9:30 at night.

Life. Is. Good.

First couple of targets were definitely off - it had been quite a while since I shot indoors, and had a pretty noticeable flinch with the .38 Special. With a bit of practice (and doubling up hearing protection), I settled in and started working on my shooting. I started off with some double-action .22LR shooting at 25':



Then I tried my hand at single action shooting, first with the Model 19:

Then the Model 17:

I was feeling pretty good, so I cranked the target holder to the back of the range and put a couple cylinders through the Model 17:


It was a good trip. I seriously love that Model 17... The Model 19 I think I'm going to have to alter a tiny bit - black front sight + black rear sight + black target + smoky .38 special wadcutters = can't see shit. Little bit of orange paint marker on the front sight ramp ought to rectify that post haste. I think I'll bring the Model 422 for some target work and the Snubbie from Hell™ for some defensive drills the next time I go.

Shooting stuff, even if it's just paper targets, is fun.

That is all.

7 comments:

MauserMedic said...

Jay,

What's your range do about air exchange. My club uses the local Guard indoor range, but the older members dislike the noise of the fans. I dislike inhaling large amounts of burnt powder (small amounts, on a cool fall day, are like a fine wine however) and the eventual sweet taste in the air that I tend to think means there's a fair bit of vaporized lead drifting about. Just curious about your group's take on the indoor health risk.

Jay G said...

Beats the hell outta me. There's an intake fan and an exhaust fan, so I would assume that it sucks fresh air in and blows the "used" air out...

It doesn't get a lot of use - I was in last night, and the last entry in the log was from two days ago...

Anonymous said...

Nice shooting -- all off hand?

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Noticed you took a bit of liberty with a phrase borrowed from the good folks at The Box-o-Truth. Yes, shooting stuff IS fun.
- Brad

Jay G said...

Libertyman,

Yep. All off hand. I did lean against the stall wall in the DA target - I put like 60 - 70 rounds through that one!

Brad,

Yep, I'll readily admit to some BoT influence there... :)

Old NFO said...

Good shooting there Jay! Nothing works better for getting in the 10 ring than trigger time!

breda said...

great targets!