Tuesday, January 27, 2009

We Love Letters!

Today's letter comes from a young man named Ken who has a question concerning the byzantine MA gun laws:
Hey Jay G,

I really enjoy reading your blog, and the posts about MA gun laws have been particularly useful. I was hoping you’d be able to help clear up some of my confusion about the Approved Firearms Roster. I’m currently a grad student at [really smart college redacted] out here in [city name redacted].

I’m graduating this spring, and will probably be getting a job in MA. If I’m lucky, I’ll end up in NH, but right now there’s a good chance that I’ll be in Massachusetts. Currently, my legal residence is in New Jersey, which isn’t any better overall in terms of ridiculous gun laws, but at least there’s no approved firearms roster. The bad thing is, you have to apply for an individual permit for each handgun you want to buy, which takes anywhere from 2-6 months to be issued. I’m waiting on 2 permits right now, and planning on buying a couple of guns before I move to MA, while I still have almost free choice on what kind of handgun I can get. I’m on a bit of a tight budget, being a college student and all, so that influenced my plan as well.

[ed.: Got that? New freakin' Jersey has more options than MA for handguns.]

Originally, I had planned to buy a Kel-Tec P-3AT and a Taurus snubbie in .357(I know you’ve said S&W is better, but still, tight budget right now.). I’ve shot the Taurus before, but not the Kel-Tec, but I’ve heard good things on the internet. I figured that I could get a 1911 and a DAO autoloader of some kind after I moved to MA, and have a job with a paycheck. I looked at the Approved Firearms Roster, saw there were plenty of 1911 options from Para-Ordnance and S&W on the list, as well as the SIG 226/229 DAK (shot it before, liked it, but pricey). I planned on buying the Kel-Tec and the Taurus in NJ since they’re cheap, and not on the Approved Firearms Roster.

The part that I get confused about, and makes me wonder if I should change my plan, is the Attorney General’s handgun Sales Regulations (
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=AG%27s+Regulations&sid=Cago&b=terminalcontent&f=government_Regulations_940CMR16&csid=Cago). I just found out about these restrictions a few days ago, when a friend of mine pointed it out to me. My question is: do those regulations, specifically about trigger pull > 10lbs, mean that it’s impossible for me to buy any Single action autoloader (like a 1911) in MA? This would also seem to rule out any Sig with a DAK trigger (7 lb pull, according to the Sig Sauer website). If that’s correc t, and I can’t get those guns while living in MA, what would you recommend buying once my permits are issued? 2 handguns, not MA compliant, where cost is an issue. I’d like to keep total spending under 4 digits, if possible. A little more than that is feasible, but not preferable. What do you think?

Thanks for taking the time to read this very long email,

Ken





Heh. Oh, Ken, are you in for a surprise... While MA may be (marginally) better than NJ for issuing CCW licenses, there's a lot more to the equation, as you surmise by the Approved Firearms Roster {spit}.

Here's my response:
Good morning Ken,

Thanks for the kind words about the blog. It's heartening to hear that the "next generation" (How the HELL did I get so damned old?!?!?!) is interesting in the shooting sports and the Second Amendment in general.

As for the Approved Firearms Roster, well, in many cases your guess is as good as mine. There are plenty of guns that are on the Roster - Glock, for instance - that are not available for sale from a dealer.

The process, as near as I can figure out, is that a firearm manufacturer will give the required number of firearms to the testing agency and, once they pass, get put on the MA Approved Roster. After that, they can sell the guns, except that the AG can and will arbitrarily and capriciously decide that Gun "A" is acceptable to sell but Gun "B" is not. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and it has frustrated and discouraged many gun makers from selling in MA.

Which is EXACTLY why they do it...

Pretty much everything from Smith & Wesson is available for sale. This bodes well for your 1911 urge - S&W makes an excellent, excellent 1911 at an affordable price. ParaOrdnance is also well-represented in MA if you want a double-stack 1911 (or they also have single-stack versions); additionally, AutoOrdnance makes an entry level 1911 that is an inexpensive choice if you want something to tinker with.

The trigger pull greater than 10 pounds has to do with guns with no safety - obviously the 1911 doesn't apply. The Sig DAK isn't for sale in MA, but IIRC, you can purchase a regular SA/DA Sig and have SigArms do the conversion if you are so inclined. Me, personally, I like the SA option.

Remember, the AG regulations *ONLY* pertain to what a licensed FFL can sell you.

As for what to get, I'd suggest you look at Glocks or XDs - those command a PREMIUM on the used market in MA. The P3AT is a good choice, but I would recommend you investigate the Ruger LCP as well. It's a little more expensive, but it's better constructed. I've got a P3AT and love it, but if I were doing it again I'd get the LCP instead. Forget revolvers, really - You can buy a used S&W all day long in MA, and new S&Ws and Rugers are plentiful. It might be $100 more than a Taurus, but you'll appreciate having the gun $$$ for something you can't buy in MA.

(Side note: I'd counsel you to look into moving to NH and commuting - if you're going to be getting a job in the Worcester area, that might not actually be that difficult...)

And if you happened to move to MA and brought in a Kahr Arms K380, and then happened to get tired of it after a (short) while, I'd be happy to take it off your hands... :)

With your permission, I'd like to post your request on MArooned to see what other options people can come up with. I have a number of MA readers, and they might be able to make some other recommendations I haven't covered here. Obviously the standard disclaimer applies - I wouldn't use your last name, of course, but I would like to post your e-mail if that's okay.

In any case, I'm on the North Shore if you're interested in going shooting some time. I've got some non-MA Approved firearms (including the P3AT) if you're interested in shooting them.

Good to hear from you, and let me know on the post. I hope I've given you some good advice here, and hope to offer more!

Regards,

Jay G.

MArooned




I realize that this request is extremely MA-centric, but the exercise can be useful. Here's the situation: You've lost your mind completely and are going to move in the the People's Republik of Massa-fucking-chusetts. You can get pretty much anything you want from Smith & Wesson, Ruger, SigSauer, and ParaOrdnance as far as handguns go.

What would you buy to bring into MA? What guns would you absolutely have to have that aren't on the Approved Firearms Roster (or are on but not sold, like Glocks or Kahr Arms)? Remember that with the MA premium on "off-list" guns, you could pick up an extra gun or two to sell privately (yes, private transactions are legal in MA between licensed gun owners!)... For me, I'd pick up a Springfield Armory USGI 1911; a Glock 26, 27, and 36; a couple P3ATs and LCPs; several NAA mini-22s; and possibly a couple HKs.

What say you?

That is all.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay, you obviously haven't been reading my rants on NES about NJ vs MA gun laws... ;-) Biggest PITA is, as Ken says, the Purchase Permit... required for EVERY handgun. *spit*

Anyway... if I was moving to MA, I'd grab an XD, a 4th Gen Glock, a Springfield Micro 9 and a Kahr of some kind. I like my K9, but I understand that the PM series is nice and light, so that may be a better choice. A Colt 1911 or 1991 would also be a definite choice as they're not found new in the People's Republic. Perhaps a Kimber, too... of course, this is if I didn't have a budget to worry about!!

And I DEFINITELY would not waste my money on Taurus - too many GOOD guns out there. Most Taurii that I'd tried have triggers that can only be described as "gritty". Two exceptions - LenS' PT111 and Fooped's Raging Bull. Other than that? Yick.

BTW... if Ken is in Worcester, please pass on my contact info to him if he'd like to go shooting in the Metrowest area. I've got a few toys not commonly found in MA that he's welcome to try out, and another one on the way... one that you passed up, in fact.

Oh, yah, let him know about NortheastShooters, too.

Murphy said...

[shaking head]


"What say you?"


Move to Texas.

Anonymous said...

Just a word of caution - even though you can move into the state with any handgun, magazines are still limited. 10 round capacity limit for any mags made after 1994.

So a 4th gen glock would be stuck with a 10 rd capacity, but a 3d gen glock could use preban mags if you could turn some up.


I'd say to buy things that you cant get in MA, even if you don't like them you can resell/trade privately and make other folks quite happy. Glock and Kahr jump to the top of my list. Kimber, and NAA too.

Link to what may be accurate info: http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_information.html

TOTWTYTR said...

Wally, I think that applies to dealer sales only, but I'm certainly not an expert. I wouldn't go by what any gun dealer posts on their website.

Jay, Ross has it nailed very well. I have friends who live in the PRNJ and they tell me it's almost impossible to get a CCW license there.

Jay G said...

Ross,

No, I'll admit to being deficient in my NES reading. :(

The Micro 9 is an excellent choice, as is the Kahr - most likely their teeny .45 or maybe the really small 9mm.

I'd also like to pick up one of the Colt WWI repro 1911s to have as a close companion to my WWI 1911.

I wish I'd thought about this when I moved into MA from NH 10 years ago, that's for damn sure...

And yes, I linked Ken to NES in a follow-up e-mail...

Murphy,

Don't rub it in. When I got laid off from my last job in 2000, I was offered the chance to move to San Antonio rather than take the layoff. Since we had just moved into our new home some 9 months prior, I declined. And I've been kicking myself ever since...

Wally,

Do the Gen 4 Glocks take new magazines, or can they accept the older Glock magazines? The prohibition in MA only affects the *magazine*, not the gun - I can use pre-ban 30 round magazines in my new Bushmaster AR-15, frex.

And yes, Four Seasons is an excellent resource for what can and cannot be sold by a dealer in MA. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

As Jay said, even if it is a major commute, if you love your guns move to NH. You can obtain a non-resident CCW in MA with substantially less hassle than if you live here, which is insane, but then again it's Mass. so insane is sort of the default position on most things.

If I just *had* to be in Mass, I'd buy several prohibited 1911s and at least one Browing Hi-Power before I got here.

IMO the older SAO Hi-Powers are the finest 9mm pistols ever made and they are not legal here.

Jay G said...

However, if you get your C&R license, there are *plenty* of C&R eligible Hi-Powers out there for not a lot more than a "new" Browning...

Just a thought... ;)

Anonymous said...

It is my understanding that the 4th gen glocks require a new style magazine to accomodate the ambi release. 4th gen mags should work in 1/2/3 frames, but 1/2/3 mags wont work in a 4th frame.
As soon as I heard this, I snapped up a G33, 3rd gen, so it can run all of my existing G31/32 mags.


TOTWTYTR: The restrictions do apply to handguns sold by dealers, not to private party sales. The pain for the MA gun owner is that he can't go to the dealer and buy a Kahr, Beretta, KelTec, Colt, etc. But that same pistol is 100% kosher to sell face to face, private party.
As a private citizen, you can bring any and all of your personal, purchased out of state firearms into MA.

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Like your use of "byzantine" -- I'd also include "draconian"

Also, check you email. Important message awaits.

Bruce said...

Not much to add to the suggestions already made:

If you're looking to fund a MA-complinat purchase once you get there, bring in a couple NAA mini .22's.

And, yeah, you wouldn't have any problem finding someone to take an extra Browning Hi Power off your hands.

PeterT said...

I guess my question then would be; How many handguns can you sell before you run into problems with the BATFE? I've heard that it's as few as 5 a year....

Jay G said...

Peter,

That's an interesting question, one I hope I never find the answer to... :)

I know that in MA you're only allowed 4 private sales per calendar year; I also know that three transactions in a given year won't incur the wrath of the BATFE... Additionally, if you buy more than one firearm in a day from a single FFL they are supposed to report it to BATFE.

Other than that, who knows? I would suspect they'd investigate the dealer first, but who knows?