Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Acorns, and the Trees They Fall From...

The Boy now has glasses; like father, like son... I inherited a mix of my parents' eyesights - Dad G. has perfect eyesight; Mom G. is legally blind without corrective lenses. My eyesight is not terrible, but I've needed corrective lenses since I was a young man to see at any distance greater than 5-10 feet. Mrs. G. has perfect eyesight; I was hoping in the great roulette wheel of the Punnett Square that my offspring would inherit her vision.

Well, I got half my wish - BabyGirl G has eyesight that makes eagles go "DAMN!"...

The Boy, OTOH, has inherited my myopia. It appears to be about the same strength as mine (very weak when younger, but gets worse as I age), so I'm uniquely qualified to help him with questions at this stage (poor Mrs. G. is mystified - she's never needed glasses). It was noticed as part of his 8 year check-up that his eyesight was less-than-perfect, and the doctor recommended we take him to an optometrist. We set up an appointment with my eye doc, and he has 20/40 vision. About what I had as a sapling, too...

Now, it had never been an issue in school up until this year. He's such a class clown that his seat had always been right up front next to the teacher's desk - and the blackboard. Only this year has he started to settle down in class and allowed to rotate through the classroom positions, and only now have his vision issues started to manifest. Several of his friends wear glasses, so the social aspect shouldn't be an issue; our biggest concern right now is him losing them (we gladly paid the $20 for the insurance against scratching/breaking).

But damn, does he look cute in his glasses! He opted for a pair of oval(ish) lenses with brushed chrome frames. It completely changes his look - he looks older, and more serious now. Strongly doubt it'll actually MAKE him more serious, but at least now he can see the board in school. He's been duly cautioned about not wearing them at recess and remembering to bring them home, and we've impressed upon him that these are very expensive glasses that he needs to take very good care of...

Needless to say, I will have to contact my doc about getting a new pair of glasses myself. I've been wanting a new pair for a while, as my current pair of glasses is about three prescriptions old; this is the perfect opportunity to get a new pair. I don't know if I'll get the same frame/lens combination as The Boy, as I only wear my glasses for nighttime/weekend duty and can get by with a more, err, value-oriented set...

But it would be nice to have a matching set...

That is all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something tells me you might want to check out http://zennioptical.com/. Cheap but decent quality glasses in whatever your prescription is. Might be really useful for when the boy inevitably breaks his.

Sevesteen said...

Elizabeth took my post. I've bought several pairs of glasses from Zenni. I'm going tomorrow to get a prescription for my first bifocals, and I'll be ordering from Zenni again.

Pay close attention to frame size. You can realistically get 3 pairs of glasses for under $45, including shipping. They take a couple of weeks, and you are getting Taurus quality in the frames rather than Beretta, but you aren't even paying Jennings prices. I don't notice any difference in optical quality.

Lissa said...

Congrats to The Boy! Spurred me to remember getting my first glasses, over at my place. I'm very glad you brought the broken-glasses insurance; my folks made out like BANDITS that first year. By about Month 4 the glasses shop started stocking an extra pair for me; it was easier to always have one on hand then go through the ordering process on short notice.

Anonymous said...

If you never want him to wear the glasses again, go ahead and get a matching set. :)

Randy in Arizona said...

Caution: Your mileage may vary!

I am 60.
I started wearing glasses in the 6th grade. (Age ~ 12)
Every prescription I got for the next 44 years was by some small increment stronger than the one before, until about 3 years ago.

About 4 years ago, I started printing out stories from online sources at home for reading in bed.
Now I will admit to being sorta cheap about about printing stuff at home. I use fine print and multiple columns to get as much material as I can on as few sheets as possible. I end up using 4.5 point Times New Roman print, the finest that my printer will handle.

Each prescription since then has been just a bit weaker for one eye or the other. Now I have heard of exercises for the eyes to improve your vision, but figured they were just so much BS & Snakeoil. Looks as if I was wrong.


By the way, check these sites before ordering from Zennioptical.com
http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2007/06/27/12362/

www.eyeglassretailerreviews.com/zenni-optical.html

Borepatch said...

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/03/11/funny-pictures-her-new-glasses-this-week/

Old NFO said...

Hopefully he will be responsible, but standby for the crying when they start calling him 4 eyes... been there, remember the humiliation...

Jay G said...

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I took a look at that Zenni Optical site, and I think I'm going to order a couple pairs of glasses from them once I get copies of my prescription.

And Old NFO, I'm not concerned about potential teasing.

The Boy is a brown belt in kempo karate...

Strings said...

quick note for you: I use perscription riding and shooting glasses. Got them from Rudy Project. Pricey, but not as bad as most other options...

Stan said...

I got a sort of mixed bag in the eye department. Crap vision in one eye and ok vision in the other.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

A little eye-wear story for you. A few years ago I got a new script and went to an optician in Nashua for specs. I handed over the paper, EyeGuy read the numbers and near the top of his voice proclaimed a resounding WOW !!!!

Yeah . . . my eyes are pretty bad.