Thursday, March 12, 2009

Flash of the Blade

I received a gift the other day, something I've been looking for and hadn't been able to find. It was a bayonet for my Turkish Mauser, courtesy of poster "Vaarok" from the Gunblogger Conspiracy Channel on IRC (Go! Look! I'm a "conspirator"! Yay me!). I had idly mentioned that I was looking for a bayo for the Mauser, and Vaarok offered that he had an extra one that might work. Before I knew it, a bayonet was on its way.

Now, it's hard to ship a bayonet. They're pointy, and heavy, and don't sit all that well in a plain cardboard box. So, needless to say, I get a frantic call from Mrs. G.


"Uh, Jay?"

"Yes dear?"

"Did you piss somebody off lately?"

"Not that I'm aware of. Is there a Police Officer there?"

"No, you just got a pipe bomb in the mail."


It had been sealed inside a length of PVC tubing, a brilliant solution to the issue of shipping, as the bayonet arrived in perfect shape. I'm just glad no one overreacted to the shape of the package and wound up calling the bomb squad to explode my shiny new pointy toy... Naturally, the very first thing I did when I got home was free the bayonet from its "pipe bomb", run up into the armory, liberate the Mauser, and affix bayonet...

And as an aside, thank you so much for your incredible generosity, Vaarok. This bayonet is perfect!!!





Naturally, this calls for a picture. I had intended to take a picture with another new knife - a joint GOAL/NES Buck knife, except that it hasn't arrived yet (wah!). So I decided to take a shot of the new bayonet with some of my favorite pocket knives.


Cutting Edge


Mauser bayonet and sheath in center; Gerber Paraframe and Kershaw "Ken Onion" Leek on the right; Victorinox "Pioneer" Swiss Army knife and Shrade "Old Timer" lockblade on the left.

The Gerber's my everyday knife. This is an inexpensive folding knife that I could, if need be, leave in a trash bucket or TSA drone's dish and not be out a lot of money. It's a sturdy knife, could hold an edge a little better, but hey, and it was under $20 from Amazon. Can't argue with that. The Kershaw's my "I need a sharp blade I can open with one hand" knife. That small blade is extremely sharp, as numerous cuts will attest. It makes a lousy pry bar, though. One of the big reasons I don't buy expensive knives is that I tend to, well, abuse my pocketknives...

The Shrade and the Victorinox are old favorites. The Old Timer was an impulse buy before my first camping trip, the so-called "Greatest Camping Trip in the History of Western Civilization". I was getting gear at Sears, I believe, and came across this knife on the clearance rack, something silly like $10. I couldn't resist. It was the perfect camping knife, and it even came with its own leather sheath. Well, that $10 knife has been one of the most reliable camping partners imaginable, cutting marshmellow roasting sticks by the dozen, stripping bark for fire-starting, and generally providing a sharp, durable cutting implement that's always on my belt when I need it. This is as good of a value as the Gerber...

The Swiss Army knife, well, that belonged to my grandfather. It was one of the last presents I gave him before he passed away, a small pocketknife to replace the one he'd recently lost. My grandfather was a tough guy to buy presents for; he tended to use things until they literally fell apart and could no longer be stitched, taped, or welded back together - living through the Depression will do that to a person. When Grampy ever said that he could use a new knife, I knew the perfect one for the job. It's compact, has all the tools you need, and has a textured handle for sure gripping. I knew the gift was a hit when he opened up the box, nodded, and put it into his pocket without a word.

And when he passed away, it was the one thing that I looked for in his effects.


So there's a few of my favorite edged items. What are your favorite knives?

That is all.

11 comments:

agg79 said...

Nice collection of sharp, pointy things. I assume there are no MA laws to limit your collection.

Time to fix bayonets!

Anonymous said...

Interesting. The Swiss Army Knife has no shield around the cross - looks more like the Wenger style - but the can opener blade sure looks like the Victorinox style.

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Will tomorrow's gun pr0n pic be said mauser with bayonette fixed, pictured skewering a furry children's toy? I suggest Barney.

- Brad

Jay G said...

agg79,

This is Massachusetts. Of *course* there are laws against certain inanimate objects... To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that is illegal to *own* is a double-edged knife. What you can or cannot carry, OTOH, is a different story.

Which is really fucking stupid when you think about it. I can't carry a knife with a blade over 3", but I have a permit that allows me to carry a firearm...

Ross,

It's an ooooold Victorinox. Plus I think that it was during their "retro" phase. It's definitely a Victorinox.

Brad,

Nope. There's a very special gun going up tomorrow. No bayonet. Not even one available.

Anonymous said...

Pointies!

I am, like many gun nuts, into knives (and flashlights) as well... but I spend much more money on guns than knives, because like you, I tend to abuse knives.

I've tried numerous daily carry knives, and about once a year I find something else I want to try... and the old knife ends up tossed in the bottom drawer of my dresser, along with a couple dead watches, a remote for a TV I no longer own, the "love dice" a girlfriend gave me in college, etc...

Right now, my collection of knives looks something like this:
Daily carry:
- Leatherman Kick multitool
- SOG Twitch II
- Cold Steel Super Edge
Hunting gear:
- Buck Diamondback Guide
- Buck 110 Folding Hunter
Fire gear:
- Gerber Paraframe combo blade
- Leatherman Core multitool
Truck console:
- Buck Diamondback Guide
- CRKT Point Guard (small)
- Leather PST (the original!)
Truck toolbox:
- camp axe
- full-size axe
- Cold Steel Kukri machete
72-hour bag:
- CRKT Point Guard (large)
Retired/lying around:
- Gerber Paraframe Mini (x2)
- Leatherman c301
- brand? scrimshawed knife
- Pioneer hunting knife
- Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife
- several CRKT Point Guards (small)
Lost/packed in a box somewhere:
- numerous Swiss Army knives
- small Buck lockback
- original Cub Scout knife
- more ... ?

And my wife still hasn't learned to ask, "Can I borrow your knife?" ... no, it's, "Do you have your knife with you?" *eyeroll* Women...

Borepatch said...

Now if someone just had a spare Teletubby, you could try it out.

;-)

Hunter said...

Lots of steel in various drawers, tool chests, BoBs, pockets, etc.
The one knife (knives) that is always around is an Opinel. The original French farmer's knife. So bone simple even a combat engineer couldn't mess it up.

Hunter
Ketchikan, AK

freddyboomboom said...

Daily carry: Kershaw Leek (titanium oxide coating, $20 @ Kershaw's factory sale), Kershaw Chive (titanium oxide coating, $29 @ Kershaw's factory sale), Victorinox Tinker(??), Gerber Micro LST.

Yes, I carry 4 knives on a daily basis.

I'm in IT, why do you ask?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have a bunch of them too, but the one that is ALWAYS with me is my smoke-anodized Ken Onion leek. That thing is about as close to a switchblade as you can legally get and just as easy to open with one finger. It also holds a great edge. I actually have 2 of them. One is still new in the box and kept as a spare. Oh and my wife has the rainbow leek, so she doesn't have to ask to borrow mine. :)

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! that is one beautiful bayonet! You lucky dog.

tjbbpgobIII said...

I managed to score a bayonet for my Turk from "whatacountry.com" for $16.00, I thought it was a steal. I like you now need a frog for the thing so it can be affixed to a belt or web gear.